1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone put a MM pickup in a 70's style jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by telekaster, Apr 6, 2006.

1. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I'm toying with the idea of adding a musicman style pickup to the bridge position of my Marcus Miller bass. It has the 70's style pickup spacing so if I wanted to put the MM pickup in there it will sit back a little closer to the bridge than a regular (60's style) jazz with a MM conversion. I have no issues with routing the bass, as I've already changed the preamp to an Aguilar OBP3 and I plan to keep this bass for good. I love the feel and light weight of the bass and it sounds good.

Why not just get a MM bass? It's on my list, but it's less of a priority to getting a 5 string. I'm also not exaclty going for that MM sound - I know I won't get it with the pickup so far back. I just want a little more cut and power. OF course this is all just me thinking out loud for now...

So anybody do this mod?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I know it can be done, but you have to move it back so it doesnt cut into the pickguard, and with a marcus miller, the pickguard might be bigger than usual.

another suggestion, seeing as you mentioned 5 string, you could always take the mods you did out of your current marcus miller, sell the bass, and get the 5 string version of the marcus miller

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Was thinking this same thing lately. Check out my threads on it to help you answer some of your questions: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225533
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228897

4. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    excellent! Thanks guys. I should've searched for this. Now I just have to work up the courage to route my bass. I think I'll wait until after I get my fiver.