1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone put Cirrus pups and pre in a different bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ledyard, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Have you? I was wondering what they might sound like in a ash or alder Fender Jazz. Or in a Mahogany bass.

2. I've thought about it, but realized that not much plays as nice as a Cirrus, so not much point.

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    you have a point. The only thing i would do it with is a Fender Jazz anyways. Warmoth or otherwise. I enjoy playing those when they are set up nice.
    I wonder how they would sound in an Alder or Ash body. Or hell, even a Korina body. Or even a all Maple body. Or the other woods but with a maple top. I have to look now and see if they would route for that pup shape. If not I would just have my luthier do it.
    Seriously doubt I will find used Cirrus guts though. Can you get them from peavey?

4. Peavey may require a serial number.. other models used them.. you will need a preamp.

PM me if you have your cash ready and are serious --- I can point you to other models that used the same preamp.

They did make Cirrus in Maple etc .... I've owned about 10.. different woods didn't make that much a diffrerence --- preamps did.

5. I found that the walnut body+neck and alder+maple combo sound a little different. Ebony vs. pao fero makes a slight difference, too.

Putting Cirrus guts in something else is a novel concept, but it will be hard to get Cirrus quality without ordering from a custom builder and it's a very unique routing that's generally not a standard option from other companies. Moreover, if you want to change pickups later, the route is bigger than most pickups on the market.

6. Opinion..

Check into a USA Millenium Plus.. it may be what you're describing.. some say that this was the best playing/sounding bass they put out. It's kind of the vibe you're describing.

7. The Millennium definitely has a nice and unique sound. I don't know if I'd say it's completely different, but perhaps a more vintage overall sound.

They have the same quality fret job, although I think the necks benefit from a nice shim job. With the stock setting, you can't lower the saddles as much as the frets would allow.

8. There is a single VFL for sale in the classifieds right now.

Search "VFL"

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021