1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ran a stingray bass through a sadowsky outboard pre?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lovenotfear, Aug 27, 2012.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I was thinking about buying a sadowsky outboard pre pedal for my pedal board, and was wondering if Anyone has ever ran a stingray bass through a sadowsky outboard pre?

What did it do to the tone?

2. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I dont see the need for a outboard preamp with the stingray since it already has a preamp. What do think Sadowsky preamp will add to the Stingray?

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It just will add more bass and/or more treble and more noise. Totally unnecessary to run the Stingray preamp through the Sadowsky preamp and then through your amps preamp!

4. For the DI, maybe... but otherwise, why? You already have an active EQ on the bass.

Its not going to give you some magic tone if thats what your after. That premap is meant and voiced for passive J basses mostly.

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    no, but I use and Aggie pre run into a Sansamp BDDI, both on all the time. great tone and works great with my SR5 and evey other bass I own. The aggie is a little more flexible than the Sadow pre I used to have.

6. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I should have mentioned I use a stingray 5 HH, and an American Jazz V With bartolini humbucking CB series Single Coil size pickups and an audere 6z mode pre,

I have a huge pedal board full of Pedals, in that pedal board I have an augilar tone hammer pedal di, and a Tech 21 VT bass pedal.

Some gigs at times I have to run di out, I usually use my tone hammer for that, but was wondering how a Sadowsky pre DI would fit that bill, I have a chance to get one for really cheap, will it color my tone allot? I kind of want it to, considering my tone hammer is so transparent.

thanks!

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

If you are just looking for a DI, there are better boxes out there. Since you have active basses, look for a good Jensen passive direct box like those made by Radial.

8. I used a Sadowsky outboard pre for a long time with my jazz bass, but once I switched over to a Stingray the sad pre was no longer used. It just wasn't a good match for the stingray. It's own onboard pre was much more suited to the bass.

9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    I run active basses through outboard preamps a lot, mostly my Sansamp BDDI. I use for both the DI and as a front end for my amp. Overkill, absolutely not, it gives me the ability to add that nice Sansamp overdrive very easily. You may not need it, but if you are getting that Sad preamp cheap, I would absolutely go for it...

10. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I used a Radial Tonebone Pre Amp with an Active MM style Bass but i had a reason for it, it was for a DUb Reggae band and i wanted a BIg FUll tone, between the two preamps i was able to carve out ALL the mids and highs and boost the Bass to an almost Synth level punch, along with compression it was a seriously HUGE tone.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1

12. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    thanks Everyone, I guess I will not buy it, I kind of already have what I need, but the price the guy wants to give it to me is so cheap, but just because its a good deal does not mean I need to buy it.

I guess I let gear acquisition sickness get to me again.

:help: I am addicted to bass gear.

13. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    *stands up* My names is Roland and i am a bassgearoholic.

14. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yep I stand up too!! Ha ha!!!