1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone re-dye leather furniture?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We spent a bundle on a leather couch and love seat. A year later, there are some spots where the finish is worn. Wear is inevitable, I know, but a year of very light use doesn't seem right.

Anyway, we have been looking into dyeing or having it dyed. Looking for some advice from those that have attempted it. Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have dyed leather shoes and clothes, but not furniture. The trickiest part is getting an even color across the whole surface. If you just brush dye into the worn areas, there will be obvious patchy darker areas around the affected area. Even if you dye the whole surface equally, the worn area may still appear lighter. So you have to be a real artist in the way you apply the dye, to get everything even looking.

While black is less likely to be a problem that way, you have to be sure to get the "right" black. Different black dyes can have very different hues.

I would make a dilution of the dye, and apply it to the faded area very lightly and sparingly, and do multiple "coats". That way you can better control the evenness of the end result.

3. not furniture, but i did get my 70's leather jacket re-dyed. It looks great and was really cheap. I took it to my Local Shoe Repair/Leather Repair Guy and it only cost me $50.

Good Luck!