1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone read a great bassist biography?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dave hope, Sep 14, 2020.

1. dave hope

dave hope

Dec 16, 2016
    I’ve read a few, but they get stale real quick. Especially the British ones. We came, we played, we puked, we destroyed. Then the same boring routine again.
    Right now I’m reading an interesting one about Jerry Scheff. He’s played with so many people. Which makes for a variety of stories, instead of being fixated on just one band.
    Suggestions?

2. Jaycat

Jaycat

Sep 8, 2018
    This isn't bad.

Bunk McNulty and GregC like this.
  3. The Charles Mingus autobiography is good and not boring at all imo. I believe it's called Beneath the Underdog.

joe

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I enjoyed Joe Milliken's Let's Go! Benjamin Orr and The Cars (2020, Rowman & Littlefield).

benorrbook.jpg

DirtDog likes this.
  5. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    I finished Rex Brown's recently. I'm not a Pantera fan per se, but I enjoyed it for the most part. He comes off a little arrogant at times, but a good read nonetheless.

6. I enjoyed Phil Lesh's book, Searching for the Sound: My Life with the Grateful Dead. It gave me a greater appreciation of him as a musician and a better understanding of the Dead as a band.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  7. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Bill Wymans is horrible.

bassb66 and eriky4003 like this.
  8. tgrant

tgrant

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    +1 on beneath the underdog, Charles Mingus.

JoeDaddio likes this.
  9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Jack Bruce Composing Himself by Harry Shapiro.

kobass likes this.
  10. It's been a long time, in the days of paperbacks, since I read it. But I remember liking Stone Alone.

kobass and Pauly 4001 like this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I've read about 1/2 of this book. Gotta finish it.

Detlef%2BSchmidt%2BKeith%2BFerguson%2BTexas%2BBlues%2BBass.jpg

12. I’m reading Stone Alone again at the moment and am enjoying it more than the last time I read it.
    Alex James of Blur wrote a fun little autobiography called “A Bit Of A Blur” with some amazing accounts and adventures including his pal Damian Hurst and others.

13. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    Fleas recent autobiography was so honest and insightful. Its up to the point before they started the chili peppers and has less to do with crazy stories and more with sharing the experiences that shaped him.

birminghambass and hieronymous like this.
  14. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    Bass Line - Milt Hinson - its stories and photography thru his career

klyph likes this.
  15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

It depends on how interested you are in the person, I suppose.
    I enjoyed The Jaco biography by Bill Milkowski very much. I read it four times.
    Bob Daisleys book “For facts sake” fascinated me with lots of specific detail, but someone less interested in Bobs career may find it tedious .
    I have a signed copy of Bob Babbitts book that is basically a short history and general guide To being a professional bassist. The book is so short that it’s almost a pamphlet, but I loved it.

16. I did read Gene Simmons Kiss& Make Up. It begins with him ruminating on what will be his last performance which is more poignant now that they are on, what could be, their last tour.

Lesfunk, ooo, Bob Daisley! That would be great.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  17. Milt Hinton

klyph likes this.
  18. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Billings, MT
    Long ago, a friend bought Brave New Bass for me. It's more a compilation of interviews by Chris Jisi of Bass Player Magazine.

19. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Guy Pratt's My Bass And Other Animals. You can usually grab a used copy online.

kobass, TrevorR, JoshS and 1 other person like this.
  20. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I read the Jaco biography, about a decade ago. It was interesting. But no other bass player biographies, Miles, Charlie Parker, Ray Charles yes, but not bass players.

I did read every interview in Bass Player magazine from 1990 - 2014 which is probably why I haven't felt the need to read about Bass Players.