Anyone Read 'The Da Vinci Code'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 2, 2006.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just finished reading this book about ten minutes ago. I thought it was pretty damn good. Even though it's a work of fiction, I wonder how much of the 'facts' stated in the book are actually true...

Anyway, anyone here read it? Opinions?

2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    One of the best books I've read and from other books that I've read, the info in the DaVinci code is not at all that far off.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Great, great book. Personally, I liked Angels and Demons (the book that preceeds the Da Vinci Code) even better.
  4. I listened to the audio book "VERY GOOD STUFF" half was real and half was fake A++++ for listing and reading.
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Didn’t like the book... the writing style I found to be very standard especially if you read other books from the author they are all the same and use standard detective style that every other pop author uses.

Fact wise; a lot of it sound real but most of it is not, actually he misses the most obvious facts and messes up on numbers a lot.

I also don’t like the reaction some people get from the book... i mean I’ve seen people arguing on history and religion and presenting this book as their main argument... its freaking fiction...

6. junction42

Oct 5, 2005
    Read the book a little while ago and actually found it quite interesting, looked up some of the fact too and quite a few of them seem to be true but one never knows!
  7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I might suggest that anyone interested read these:

Bloodline of the Holy Grail
    The Second Messiah
    The Templar Revelation
    The Secret Architecture of Our Nations Capitol

and any legit book on the Masons (not guys who lay bricks)

While the Davinci Code is fiction, much of it is based upon extensive research by other writers.

Kserg, I am interested to see which parts he messed up on?
  8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Yeah, I liked Angels and Demons better too. They're both pretty similar, I enjoyed them both.
    I thought they both would be heavier and more difficult to read though, I was expecting something a bit more "serious".

Kserg, I'd like to know about those factual errors as well. It would be AWESOME (I know you like that word) for you to answer.
  9. It´s been a while since I read "Da Vinci code", but I still think it´s quite overrated book. At first, all the little "facts" were fascinating and I just wanted to hear more. But after a while the whole "catholic conspiracy" thing started get over the top and my scepticism arose. After that I barely managed to finish the book.

And there is the problem IMO: as long as you buy all the historical stuff as even remotely truthful, the book keeps you in its hold, just like a well-made documentary would. But without the scientific credibility, all you have left is a mediocre, by-the-numbers thriller. Also, I find Brown´s made-for-Hollywood writing style annoying. You know, the short chapters that always end with another cliffhanger, ready-made characters etc.

But I am nit-picky, so you might take my criticism with a big grain of salt. And I did get quite a few hours of entertainment out of "Da Vinci Code", so I´m not saying it doesn´t have it´s place in the world.
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It was by far the most disappointing book I ever read. I thought "hey, 23 million people can't wrong!"...well, I'm never following that path again. Yeah sure, the facts were kinda intriguing (sp) but the style and structure was very very predictable and boring. There are much better books than this one in it's genre.

If you like this, read The Name of the Rose by Eco and then say again you think The Davinci Code is brilliant.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There are a TON of books on Templar and Masonic conspiracy. I agree with the choices above, especially "The Second Messiah". If you're interested in such matters there's also lots of books on Roslyn chapel, which is part of the thing.

On the D.C...I thought it was OK...I wish it had gotten more into Rex Deus and DeMolay.

For a good historic action read Check out "The Historian"...much more fun!
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought it was a "hollywood thriller" type of a book, nothing too demanding or insightful but quite well made and progressed in a nice pace.

If you're flying long trips - on any other than SAS who I understand now offers internet connection on the longer flights to keep you TB'ed the whole way - it's a decent waste of time.
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There is a great program produced by the Discovery Channel called "The Real DaVinci Code". Highly recommended! It's really hilarious, they absolutely tear the book a new a-hole. It's a complete fabrication, 100% work of fiction.
  14. I've read "Angels and Demons" as well as "The Da Vinci Code". The two books are very similar in many, many aspects. Good pulp fiction holiday reading. They're also written so that you can romp through them really quickly...

My dad worked at CERN (Angels and Demons) on and off for about 30 years, and I can truthfully say that a LOT of what Dan Brown claimed about CERN is untrue. They do NOT own a hypersonic jet, the DG is NOT superwealthy and superpowerful, they don't have brick "Harvard-like" buildings but concrete blocks, it's NOT a super-conspiracy type of place - you could walk in off the street and have a tour if you like. I worked there over the summer and pretty much everything is open for visiting. The only bits that aren't are high-magnetism, high-voltage, or radiation / laser risk. CERN has a page debunking a lot of the Angels & Demons stuff.

It's fiction based on some fact as far as I can tell. The clever thing is that he has enough fact to make it SOUND convincing.
  15. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I saw that when it first aired a while back and what I found interesting was the way that they chose to spin things in favor of the church. hmm :confused:
  16. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I think that the whole thing with The DaVinci Code is that if you fully believe that Jesus is the son of God or God himself, ideas not fully agreed upon by the church until the 3rd century I believe, then you might find the book to be preposterous, utterly ridiculous, full of lies and misinformation and a heresy.

However, if one is willing enough to open up to the idea that Jesus was a man who was a messenger of God, then the book quite possibly has many premises that are worthwhile.

I think that it is safe to say that the Church has always been a men's institution (aren't most theocracies?). What other institution do we know that has spun things in their direction more so than the Church (re-writings and selective choices of books for the Bible)?
  17. +1,000,000
    A friend, who I thought had some taste, gave it to me last year. What a piece of unadulterated garbage with -0- literary merit!
  18. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    It's a work of pure fiction based on conjecture based on unproven hearsay.
  19. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    When the latest action flick does 300 million dollars at the box office, do you go see it looking for literary value, dense composition, interesting exposition, or unique characters? No. Because you know any movie that sells 300 million at the box office does not aim for the intellectual audience, but rather, the lowest common denominator. The fact that it does this well is a pretty good clue that it's not going to be a powerful story.

The same thing applies to novels. This book is not great. By any means. It'll never be a classic. It will not revolutionize the way novels are written, and people won't be analyzing it as allegories for hundreds of years to come.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. It's a cheesy detective story.

If you go into it expecting Hemmingway, or Tolkein, or whatever you personal ideal of high literature is, of course you aren't going to think it's good. But if you approach like you would a Tom Clancy novel, or something, it's okay.
  20. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading both The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. I found as I read it that I was making little mental sticky notes:

"Oh, that's a fact"...."That's dramatic license"..."That's a fact based extrapolation into fiction"... and stuff like that.

Same process as Jurassic Park. While it may be true that you can get Dinosaur Blood from a mosquito in a piece of amber, you have to allow the author the room to run with it, or you get no Dino's.

The DC and A&D make a good detective story with a modicum of historical places that allows you to ground the fiction a little, while tweaking the noses of some self important people and institutions. Good pulp writing IMHO.