Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone recognise this bass?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ToneRanger, Feb 16, 2005.

1. As I mentioned in another thread, I've found this no-name Korean bass that a local company is importing. Retail price is $1500 (Australian, = $1200 USD). which is less than half the price of any alternatives around here. I haven't seen one yet because the first shipment sold out immediately.
    I'm just wondering whether anyone in the US or elsewhere has seen this instrument under another brand name and knows anything about its quality?

Attached Files:

• EUB.jpg
      EUB.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Isn't it the Palatino EUB people talked about in a few other threads recently?
    The price was about the half of yours though! (IIRC)

3. I guess you're right. Having read forum comments on Palatino URB's, I now understand why the Australian importers have chosen to leave the brand name off!
    I'm interested in any more comments on the EUB - maybe not as awful as their URB's?
    When one arrives in town I'll have a careful look at it. The next cheapest EUB I've found is a local hand-made one for $3500, or the Yamaha & Warwick for $5000+, so even if I have to do a little work it may still be decent value. But I'll proceed with caution...

4. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    A local music shop recently stocked three of these (Palatino EUB) instruments. The price was $599.00 USD and sales tax. All three sold almost immeadiately. No surprise! I did get a chance to check one out for a little awhile in the store.......

First of all, don't expect the the factory to be terribly worried about quality control on these. As with their URB's, the quality varies alot. I have played some Palatino acoustic uprights that denied their price tag in both directions. E.G. Some of them have been horrible, and some of them have defied gravity in terms of playability versus construction quality. The price says it all....CHEAP!

At the very least you will want to replace the strings, (Thomastic Ropecore's come to mind) and probably have a skilled luthier change the bridge ( in truth, the tailpiece sucks too) and do a set-up. (Fingerboard level, nut adjust)

The pickup system seemed to be decent, with the controls placed in a conveniant spot. The ergonomics and overall playing balance followed suit.

This EUB is a decent instrument, a very nice design, even if it screamed out "MODIFY ME" as a checked it out. So, if you are in for a bit of adventure and risk, this bass could turn out to be a great value, a real "Student Prince".

That's my two cents worth!

Sam

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    But at the price they're asking him, I think it's a steal!
    Maybe he should buy a real DB instead, if this is an acceptable alternative.

6. I have tried a similar bass (François, go try it at Musique CentreVille on St-Joseph street). I have doubts it is a Palatino, but the quality is comparable.

The strings were crap, the bass seemed solid, the finish was cheap but okay, the action was extra high. It was selling for 1500$ Canadian (around 1200 $US).

Any buyer should consider new strings, a good luthier job for ajusting the action and... a new pickup. The one on this bass was incredibly cheap. Because the bridge looks more like a cello bridge than a bass bridge, I wouldn't put a bassmax or a fullcircle there. Since the body is solid, I would put a Realist there neither. IMO a double big twin or a Fishman could do the job. Don't forget to use a preamp with these !

I think it is a gamble. I would personnally prefer to buy a good EUB rather than Frankensteining a cheap EUB. You could get a better sound with a fretless Godin A4 with flatwounds.

7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Buy a Messenger from John Knutson.

8. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    That´s a Palatino a.k.a. Straus and a number of other names. The Korean maker can be found at http://www.straus.co.kr

This model is discontinued which is why they´re unloading their stock. Their new EUBs are sold under the name Rally.

Mikael

9. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    At the 2005 NAMM show (Anaheim) show a few weeks ago, I saw this EUB on display at the distributor's booth. I've heard too that this model has been didcontinued, yet it was being displayed as available for 2005. Hmmm...

As far as alternatives, I would recommend the Azola Lightning Bug. I purchased one as an alternate to my Floating Top model for airline travel. It is one of the more affordable EUB's out there. It is an excellent bass, but cost more than twice as much as the Palatino. So there you go!