1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone recognize this funky bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Feb 22, 2016.

1. So this is my bass all I know is the previous owner bought it from a pawn shop 28 years ago in San Fransisco. I was told the pickups were guild but they only have 15089 stamped on them and I can't find anything on it. The bass is rather odd, looks like alembic or wishbone inspired but who knows could of been made before alembic was around. The overall construction was very well done despite its rather odd look. Neck through construction, headstock valut, nice Birdseye top. It all is well executed, plays great and it actually sounds much like a 4004 Rickenbacker in fact the neck feels like one to. It's full scale and the body is rather small for full-scale but it balances well. It originally had a 3 point bridge and a badass 1 was later added. The lady I got it from toured a lot with it and a 4001 in the 90s her husband played with the melvans, sleep and some other ppl as well but she had little info on the original maker, I'm guessing a young budding luthier would be cool to find the original owner before I sell it. I kinda wanted to reshape the headstock end. Anyways figured you all needed a break from the fender photos we all see lol. IMG_20160222_165840598. IMG_20160222_165903953. IMG_20160222_165858377. IMG_20160222_170113212. IMG_20160222_170108250_HDR.

2. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Looks like a luthier project by a guy calling his guitar company "Sulona" (dig the pre-home-computer press-type transfer lettering on the headstock - very popular in the late 70s and early 80s with Print Shops and Art Projects - using that as a gauge, thats the period Im guessing it was built)...... Is there a reason why the G-string isnt seated in the nut?

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    There's a story there for sure! I was also going to guess the same time frame, late 70's/early 80's. It had a Gibson 3-point bridge on it originally - then replaced with the ever-present BA. Holes in the neck-back are probably attempting to address neck dive by locating a strap peg higher up. In general it looks to be an old-world sort of affair.

4. Yes indeed, all the strings were loosened so I could take photos of the frets and document condition.

Hopefully the guy went on to build stuff because it plays great. I kinda just wanted it for its unique look, I buy some gear just for the sake I see instruments as functional art but then I played it and it played great, really great and the sound was killer as well so I got some great looks when I brought it to practice the other night lol.

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Back of headstock appears to say "KM MODEL"

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I love the body shape on that! Might have to use it as inspirado next time I draw up a new design =0)

7. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I could see Satan rocking that as people enter hell...playing Creed of course. :roflmao: