Anyone recommend a Bass instructor in the Los Angeles area

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by djshawn47, Jun 29, 2004.

1. looking for a referal.....

the internet has a lot of old lists w/ old phone#s
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Look up member Blackbird. He would be a great teacher. If he doesn't teach, ask him if he knows anybody.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Is Ron Escheté still in LA? If he is. I could not recomend him more. Great Player ,Great Teacher!

4. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    John Flitcraft

Very knowledgeable and a heck of a nice guy. If I lived in L.A. he's who I would go to.

Well, unless Abraham Laboriel was giving lessons! :p
  5. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
  6. What a B!%ch!

I left her a voice mail and she called me back and left me a voice mail. I called the number back that appeared on my caller ID......and that is when the fun began.........

she started going off about how i have no right to call her on her private line(i said i just called back the # on my phone), she said she is going to hang up and call the phone company because this is an outrage that her # is not blocked.....I don't think she understands the concept of caller ID yet(she's no spring chicken thats for sure)

I didnt even know who she was.....I asked her about her teaching methods and she said she wouldent talk to me, that she dosent talk to students and that she screens them via email first. I said "you dont talk to students??? then how do they decide if they want to take lessons form you?"

she says " listen up, I'm Carol Kaye, honey. I pick and choose who i want to teach, and i only teach top profeesionals in the world! Ive been doin this since 1943"

I should have said "We'll Im RICK JAMES B!^CH!", but i didnt, i just thanked her for her time and hung up.

There was more to our conversation, and she came off as the most self righteous, arrogant, and down right rude woman i have ever spoken to.

I later learned that she is this big shot bass goddess (whom I nor any of my bass playing peers have ever heard of) from like the 1800s or some thing, and has taught Sting, and quincy jones, and breast fed Jaco and on and on.........

......which i respect, but at least be nice!

From a personality standpoint;I definitely do not recommend Carol Kaye!
  7. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    If ya haven't done it already, try
  8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Join the club. Stories about her lousy attitude
    abound. She's a bitter, burned out, mean old
    lady. It's a shame. I feel sorry for her.

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    You might try Bunny Brunel. He teaches at the Carvin
    Store in Hollywood last I heard.

10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Paul has installed a new feature into Talkbass. If you go to MEMBER LIST and then perform an ADVANCED SEARCH, you can search for Talkbass members that are instructors, and you can search by area.