Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone recommend a german bow teacher in london

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Dec 15, 2004.

1. my old teacher has moved away and i am wanting suggestions.
    thanks

2. Mike

Won't you be faced with jail time or at least a fine being caught using German bow in england? ;) Seriously though, are things getting more liberal with regards to bow choice these days? Here in the US it's OK to use either one, so long as it's the same as the section leader.

Jon

3. i know what you mean.

i was up for a teaching job myself in a school recently and got the third degree for having german bow as my main thing.

Still there are a few of us over here who know where the real action is ;)

aint getting much of a reply to this am i. how many londoners are there on this site?

hey J (mind if i call you this mr neuman?) thanks for the strings that was a nice deal. I took em off though as they werent thick enough for me. still, one to cross off the list.

4. Mike - My teacher is actually a french player even though I'm a german guy. He actually had to call his teacher, who plays german, to make sure my grip was correct (it was). Sometimes I think it helps to have a different perspective since certain things come more naturally on the two different bows. You don't always have to have a teacher who uses the same bow as long as your basic bow technique is sound. Those strings wearn't thick enough for me either. That's why I took them off :) Oh well I'm sure you can unload them for what you paid for them if you want. At least it wasn't a very expensive experiment. BTW J's fine, Jon's better. - Jon

5. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    London
    There are many........
    Duncan McTier
    Corin Long
    etc.....

6. There are many........
    Duncan McTier
    Corin Long

but how to contact?
    where is good regestery of these type of musicians with some kind of contact details even just email?

thanks

7. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
  8. corin long isn't in the contact details. you couldnt send me a PM with her email if you have it could you. and anyone else you can think of.
    thanks so much

9. Sophie

Sophie

Feb 8, 2005
    Canterbury, UK
    You could also try contacting Duncan via the Royal Academy of Music. Graham Mitchell teaches there as well...I've got a feeling he's german bow. You might be able to get Corin through there as well - he sometimes does masterclasses/ one off lessons at the academy. And if you do manage to get through to him, might be idea to notice that he's a he, not a she. :rolleyes: