Anyone recommend a good ear monitor?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doug, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    My singer is looking into purchasing one and I was wondering if anyone here uses one. Need recommendations, prices, pros and cons. Thanx!
  2. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    A few of the members of our band use the Sony in-ear, hard wired, monitors and really like them. Some of the other members didn't like them. Those currently using the in-ear are: drummer, Keyboard player, and trumpet player. They say its almost like listening to a CD.
  3. FyrDogg

Dec 21, 2000
    Our band started using the Carvin monitors about 8 months ago. The biggest reason we went with Carvin was the price. After some adjustment,(both to myself and the monitors) we got to like them.
    The advantages:Easy to set up. Almost no feedback (unless you put your ear near the mic, which can be common for some singers who tend to turn their heads). You can actually protect your hearing to an extent. Also, if everybody uses the same mix, you just need one transmitter, and you can use any number of recievers.
    The disadvantages:It is easy to get them to distort, and at first they don't seem loud enough. I went to Staples and got a pack of Jabra earmolds designed for a hands-free kit for a cell phone and super-glued them to the monitors to channel the sound into my ear canal and block out other sound. Also, the wires are fragile.( How long does it take for the headphones on your Walkman to drop one channel? It's basically the same thing.)
    After all that - I will never go back to floor monitors again.