Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone recommend a pedal compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bunghole, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunghole

bunghole

Jan 19, 2004
    London
    Hi I am looking for a (foot pedal) bass compressor for live work and recording and I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a half decent version that wont break the bank but also doesnt ruin the essential sound of my instrument or sound like a pile of **** either. Im also not a big fan of plastic.

I play a fender precision, kind of bluesy, soulful rock....

2. bunghole

bunghole

Jan 19, 2004
    London
    talk to the finger

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you read Smash's response? He DID answer your question with his experiences, but also directed you to look in the archives for the numerous discussions and other peoples opinions.

This HAS been discussed many many times before, the "hi, what is the best xxx pedal" threads are the most common round here. So we've discussed the various compressor pedals out there many times over, including A / B comparisons.

If you have a specific question about specific pedals, fire away and people will be happy to help. You also didn't say how much "breaking the bank" is to you, it's a different amount for everyone.

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    SMASH,

Please give a run down of the black finger and the keeley when you get them. My search gave me lots of anticipation and a couple of store tryouts on the EH unit, and there are one or two keeley fans out there. I have a Carl Martin which I find nice, but a bit touchy.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cool it children! Don't want to send you guys to your rooms now do we?

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    EBS MultiComp.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Analog Man bi-compressor.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Keeley Compressor gets good notices. Not much tweakability though.

9. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Indeed.
    But I love it, I love it, I love it ! :D

SMASH, you haven't received yours yet ?

10. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Just bought an Aphex Punch Factory. Very cool on bass.

11. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Please tell us how it is when you get it back.

I'd discussed the possibility of having mine modded exactly that way back when I bought it. But I can't say I see a real problem with it the way it is.
    I'm curious to know what you'll think about the difference.

(Actually, if that's not too much to ask, I'd appreciate if you could PM me whenever you have a few impressions to communicate. -Just in case I miss the thread in which you write it. Thanks.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.