1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone recommend me a bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjl5590, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    hi guys,

well my warwick 3.2 head doesnt work, so i'm sending it back and getting something completely different.
    Ive already got a warwick 211 pro 2x10 cab that is good, so i'm just looking for a head to accompany it.

basically, it needs to be:

- £300 or under ($500 or under)
    - at least 300W (preferably more)
    - good for rock and slap bass, and has good "growl"
    - have a speakon connector

so far i've looked at:

- Marshall MB450H
    - SWR 350x Head
    - Hartke HA3500
    - Laney RB-9
    - Eden Nemesis RS400

My local music shop is really bad and stocks nothing, so i cant try any thing out. i just have to rely on what you guys tell me!

out of the ones i've looked at, something is just telling me that the eden nemesis is the best bet. dont ask me why...

anyway thanks for all your help

2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    If you can, check out the Peavey Tour series. The Tour 450 has 450 watts and the Tour 700 has 700 watts. Both are great heads with the ability to dial in quite a few different tones.

Peavey amps are durable. I've had Peavey equipment for over 20 years and none of it has ever given me any problems.

3. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    cool i'll look up the tour 450. kinda strikes me for more of a rock amp, and not so good for slap i.e. no contour knob or anything

4. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    GK 400RB

5. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    the GK is a bit on the quiet side

6. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    How about a ashdown mag good qualitiy fairly good sound and i comes in either 300 or 600 watt heads.

7. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Carvin BX600 600W BX SERIES BASS HEAD

8. Alot of people rock those Hartke amps who aren't too wealthy, good value for money as far as I know in terms of sound and quality. Ashdown are a bit warmer sounding, but don't cut as much as the Hartke.

I wouldn't go near any of the newer Laney stuff though. I had a R4H head, which is pretty much the same as the new R9, and while it was pretty decent sounding it wasn't too powerful, mind you no amp at that price range will have too much headroom to be honest for rock stuff. One thing I will say is I'm very sceptical of the newer Laneys stuffs quality, I have 2 of the BLT era (owner before whoever owns them now) and they're both pretty solid, but the new stuff just seems a little flimsy to me. The Laney sound is still there though.

By the way you can get a speakon adaptor fairly easily, you won't find many amps in your price range with speakon outputs.

Alternatively you could get a preamp you like, generic example for rock being a SansAmp Bassdriver, and then get a poweramp such as this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160179777723 (thought I'd whore these because they are QSC/Crown/etc quality but cheap and made in Wales, so you get that warm fuzzy buying local feeling without having to spend loads, 12 months guarantee too).

Don't be put off by how many watts something puts out, more is better then less. If you have too little with a solid state amp you create square waves, which **** up your magnets, as opposed to mechanical damage which overpowering can cause, but you can repair your drivers in this case rather then having to buy new ones. Do a search on the science, it's fascinatingly boring! :p

9. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
  10. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    i think im gonna go with the SWR. it can run at 2 ohms and people seem to like it. im just not very happy about the tube preamp cos i dont think having a tube is good for slap bass

11. If you want Flea style sound, GK1001RB is the way to go. He uses GK. I love mine!

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Then why are you wanting to buy it?

Alex

13. GK, 1001RB if possible, but a bit over budget, whereas the 700RB although not as powerful, its only £400 and its 480 watts.

See if you can get a second hand 1001RB, absolutely great for rock/slap tone.

14. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    its hard for me to buy second hand stuff cos i live in the UK. anything off talkbass is for 120V.

the gk-700 is too expensive for me, it has to be £300 max.
    I want to buy the SWR becasue ive heard great things about it, and i have seen it advertised for £250 which is pretty cheap. I really have no idea about the tube preamp not being good for slap, but im just guessing because on the Marshall MB450H head, that also has a tube section and it says use it to get a more gritty overdrive sound

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No it isn't - the other forum you're on has a number of local bassists offering you used amps at good prices! Take off the blinkers!

Alex

16. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Get a Little Mark 250.

around £340-350 ish in UK.

Great sounding amp

17. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    basschat has some amps but none that i wanna buy really, i saw the 350x but it is an american model

18. I always thought the strong point of my old Hartke 3500 was the slap sound, it has a halfway decent compression circuit

Ashdowns are good. Also recommend Carvin.

but i think i'll support Hartke here, based on IME.

19. If you're seriously considering the Nemesis RS400, there's a NA650 on Basschat which would be even better, coz it's 2nd hand so you don't lose much if you wanna sell again. Worth a look!