Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone record on their computers?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Hello all,
    I use a program called Acid 2.0 to record all the songs that I have in my head, and even though I've only had it for a few months I've already recorded more than 20 songs (which can be heard at www.mp3.com/thebassline by the way :D). To record, I plug a crappy $5 mic and put it right next to my crappy Crate BX-15 bass practice amp to record all of my guitar and bass parts, and I use a Boss Super Phaser, a DOD Grunge distortion, an Ibanez Chorus/Flanger Tone-Lok pedal, and a DOD Bass-Tec Multi-Effects pedal. Right now, I'm downloading the trial version of this new Tonos software that's always flashing on the TalkBass sidebar just to see what it's like. Anyone else record on their computer, and if so, what programs do you use and how do you record? Thanks for your time!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use my old Zoom 9030 with a Behringer compressor and a BBE Sonic Maximizer to plug my bass into a CL Soundblaster Live! Player (which sucks big time :( )
    Usually I use either Steinberg's Cubase 5 VST32 or Nuendo to record (great VST FX and instruments), but for Audio only SEK'D's Samplitude is really awesome too.
    Other tools used:
    Propellerhead's Reason and ReBirth, Fruityloops and others for synth stuff.
    Prosoniq's TimeFactory is grear for time-stretching (especially for transcribing solos and fast licks).

Right now I'm saving up for a RME Hammerfall soundcard - it beats anything else out there...

3. Mark Russell

Mark Russell

Sep 2, 2000
    Yeah, I record on my computer, I use Cubase VST, which is utterly fantastic, I sequence all my keyboard parts because my technique is appalling these days! Cubase is very easy to use as a sequencer and digital recorder, and the editing is dead easy. I bung all my guitars and basses through a Zoom 506II as a DI box and sound pallette, and a slack handful of Boss pedals, Compressor, Enhancer, Octaver, and Flanger amongst others, which go via a Peavey Unity desk straight to my Soundblaster Platinum souncard. The results are truly excellent, and you can burn the whole thing to CD when you've finished, nice! The one thing I've learned as time goes on, EQ, less is more!

4. ACID 2.0, Soundforge, Soundblaster Live soundcard, using my Tascam 414 as a preamp.

I've got Cubase VST too, but don't find it as user friendly as Acid.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am using Vegas if I can ever get the silly thing to work!! Grrr

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I am going to take up some (half-) serious hard disk recording, using my home PC as the "music machine". I am upgrading it (more RAM, new HDD, CD-burner) and will buy a "bang for the buck" HoonTech SoundTrack Audio DSP24 sound card (phew). There will also be a HoonTech rack piece ADC/DAC converter, some el cheapo mic preamps (see, 8 of the 10 inputs on the converter are unbalanced lines :(), some microphones and other stuff, but my other band members are going to help with money for that.

It will be totally cool, I'm sure, but it's going to take some time to learn recording and editing properly. I do hope that the bulk version of Emagic Logic that comes with the sound card isn't as crappy as I fear...

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I keep forgetting to ask. What is the difference between a balanced and a unbalanced line?

8. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    I use Cuabase 5 VST/32 for Mac, with a PowerMac G4, 512 MB RAM and 70 GB HD, DualMonitor System.

As soundcart, I take a midiman delta 1010 with 8 in/ 8 out, 2 digital I/O and AES/ABU In/out.

But nevertheless I still have to admit that you can't get the sound you can achieve in studio :(

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    But of course - they have expensive preamps, expensive compressors, expensive reverbs, expensive microphones and rooms perfect for recording. And even if you got all that stuff, they'd probably mix better than you. ;) And knowing where to place a microphone is a science in its own.

G - I don't know.

10. legolas

legolas

Mar 30, 2001
    columbia, MO USA
    i work as a recording engineer, and in my in home studio i use cool edit pro, and acid 2.0. i tried SAW (it's a "high end" program) it sucks. cool edit pro and acid seem to give me the "most versatility for the buck" and are very dependable (no system crashes and etc.) plus cool edit has a memory function that allows you to recall "unsaved" sessions. as far as the rest of the equip. that i use: SB Audio PCI 64D (it's a great card for home recording-and gives you quality and fidelity beyond recording industry standards), a yamaha MT4X as a "mixer," good ol' SM57s and SM58's for my mics, and only gold plated-oxygen free cables at all times.
    you really don't need multiple inputs into your computer like a layla, echo, or darla when you use a program like cool edit pro because it allows up to 64 tracks of audio to be recorded simultaneously (if you have enough of a computer). you can just record a track in while listening to the previously recorded track at the same time. effectively taking care of the BASIC needs of a solo musician working at home. of course that is all a matter of personal preference and style.

here's a trick to cutting down on the computer noise in your recordings: put the mics in another room and record your instrument dry (no effects)from there. THEN edit the natural hums of your pc with your noise filter adding effects after the basic recording.

i've been using an active bass with a fender frontman 15b lately (of all things) to lay down some bass tracks for my next album... i am still shocked with the range of tone allowed by the combination. i have never liked fender bass amps because they never seem to have much tone; however, the practice amp is more like a little tone box. if you have one try this set up out at home: plug in an active bass, put a SM57 (1) off center and 3 inches away from the speaker, a SM58 (2) 6 inches from the right side of the speaker at 45 degree angle and a SM57 (3) on the back of the amp facing where the cord comes out of the amp. tweak the tones of the mics (1. flat; 2. a slight low shelf; 3. mid-high shelf) and set your bass to preference. =pretty good tone.
    ok, i'm tired of typing.

bass=good