1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone refinished a s.u.b. bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Jan 27, 2004.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i was just wondering if anyone has tried to refinish a musicman sub bass. i'm not even sure how you would get that textured finish off or anything, but just thought could be promising if it was doable.

2. erm.. No..
    *bump*

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Do a search. I remember a thread awhile ago about this same topic, and someone removed the finish, and it was a beautiful natural color.

4. I'd have to if I ever owned one of them lol.

5. Why?

They look all cool and industrial... kind of like a titanium crescent wrench or something.

Refinish?

:confused:

6. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I read a review of an SUB on another site, the owner did refinish. He said it took him over a week of sanding to work this stuff off, a testament to line-a-bed paint :D. Tough stuff! I like the finish, this bass is a weird marriage of retro Stingray and a redneck Tonka toy (line-a-bed n' diamond plate aluminum bumper). I would hazard a guess that the finish is at least part of the tone of this bass. How much is anyone's guess.