Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone remember Andrew from Rollins Band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BASSethound, Mar 26, 2002.

1. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    What happened to that guy? Man he WAS in the drivers seat of that band!!!!!

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rollins reigned him in. Now he has a totally different band.

3. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I just thought Andrew really drove the band. Who is he with now?

Melvin Gibbs has played with some R&B folks. He also did a thing with defunkt for a while.

I think Rollins lost his touch when Andrew left. I think that was about the time Rollins lost a friend.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Melvin is also on "Free" guitarist Sonny Sharrock's Seize The Rainbow disc...very happenin' album!

How many of you guys know this-
    Henry Rollins has a couple of labels(Infinity Zero and 2.13.61)...both have issued some "Free Jazz" stuff(like Matthew Shipp).
    Pretty cool...

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Andrew did a cool e.p. called Wartime.....lots of sonic candy on that one! I like Melvin's playing in all the projects he gets involved in too......very very versitile player!

6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I also preferred Gibbs. He braught lots of nuances to Rollins one-dimensional sound.

I can still listen to the song Liar, just because of the bass.

Can anyone recommend me some records where Melvin plays on? Preferably on a four string so I can figure out some stuff.

7. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    he was way better than melvin...i can't even listen to newer rollins...i'm not saying it b/c of melvin...they just wrote better songs when andrew was in the band...imo

8. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm definitely with Mecha Hooch on this one. Melvin is an awesome player. I just think some of the newer stuff is a little weak-probably because of Rollins songwriting. It might also be that the sound was more "punk" and less polished in the studio.

Gun in mouth blues, that is pure emotion. Not many heavy bands display the emotion they feel other than words.

9. I prefered Gibbs as well. Makes me have GAS for an MTD!

~Ad

10. I think Gibbs is one of the best bass players on the planet!
    His tasty use of effects and his very melodic playing over the straight-ahead hardcore Rollins sound, was a huge influence on me.

The last record I found with him playing, is from Harriet Tubman - I am a man.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Another Gibbs' band worth checkin' out-
    Power Tools with Ronald Shannon Jackson & Bill Frisell.
    I've been looking for that album for awhile...this thread has reminded me I had forgotten about it! ;)

12. Both Melvin AND Andrew were long time fav's of mine....even before I took ol' Hank seriously. That Power Tools recording is still one of my all time favourite Frisell albums....check out Shannon Jackson's Decoding society with both Vernon Reid and Gibbs. Anyone who hasn't really owes it to themselves to check out Wartime. It is a one-off with Hank and Andrew on Chrysalis records...again; one of my alltime favourites. Then there is Seize the Rainbow with Gibbs and Sonny; >sigh< .....I loved that guy. I still jam on songs from that album often. Andrew Weiss, Gibbs and Mike Watt were all big influences for me. I was pretty startled to find Melvin playing with Rollins...check out his prog-jazz stuff to hear what he can really do. I saw Weiss live with Ween once too....a bit of a card live. Melvin doesn't wear any shoes on stage...don't think you'd catch me ever doing that!

13. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I met Andrew way back in the day after a Rollins gig here in Buffalo. Real cool guy. I saw him play twice with MG as well. So what is all the other stuff MG did. I only heard him do a pop/r&b album way back.

Is the jazzy stuff, funky? Fusion? I know if Bill Frissell is on the gig it would be kinda weird.