Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone remember Jimmy "Flimm" Johnson (Flimm & the BB's)?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Used to have a video of his band, from many years ago. I liked their music and Flimm's bass playing was tasty!! At the time, he was playing ((drumroll please, are you sitting down? because this is big news...)) a five string bass!!! :eek: :D

Hey.. it was big news back then. ;)

Anyway, wondered if anyone else digs Flimm & the BB's? Wish I still had that old video, nice bass playing and cool tunes they were!!

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    They're one of my all-time favorites! Haven't heard their names spoken in quite a while...I just listened to Tricycle and New Pants the other day. Cool stuff! BTW, I know what their name means... ;)

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Flim is a great, underated and often overlooked player. He plays with James Taylor most of the time now.

He floored me when I first heard "Fish Magic."

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh yeah, Jimmy "Flim" Johnson is an unsung legend! Besides Anthony Jackson, he was one of the first extended range [5 string fretless] bass players. I have all the Flim & The BB's cd's! They were one of the first bands to record digitally as well! DMP Records! I have some cd's by Brandon Fields that Jimmy played on and his stuff is killer! Can play 1/16 notes with the best of them! He's got that cushy James Taylor gig! Like Nathan East, he's an A list player!

5. man, I always site Flim as one of my big influences. have you checked out his playing with Holdsworth. yow!

when I was studying at BIT he was playing around L.A. a bunch and it was always a treat to see/hear him on stage! he occasionally broke out his fretless with Michael Ruff and it would break your heart it was so beautiful.

he's one of those cats I'd love to see put out a solo album, although the stuff with Flimm and the BB's is pretty great!

from the lows,

Stew

6. Fill-In

Fill-In

Jul 24, 2004
    Love the DMP stuff they did... the first WB recording almost mixed the bass out of the songs.

I was playing trumpet when I first heard them, loved the sound of the piano player--so I learned piano! Then the church I went to needed a drummer--Very musical! Several years later, another church (that I am now attending) needed a bass player--can't help but hear the influence in dynamics!

Of course, now I want to learn the sax!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've always dug Jimmy Johnson's playing, his timing feels a lot like Anthony Jackson's to me. They have a way of floating time that is hard for me to explain....every note is just perfectly placed.

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I know what you mean... It can be maddening to try to figure out how they come up with their approaches.

9. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    (I think not.) Jimmy Johnson is badass.

His brother, Gordon Johnson, ain't too shabby either. Played bass with Chuch Mangione for years.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Jimmy Johnson is one overlooked player.
    Got to open for him when he played with Allen Holdsworth.
    Jimmy grooved, hard, tasty player.
    Rock solid with JT also.

11. Hmmm.... what should we call this new cd ...

How about "New Pants?" :D

Ok, what does their name mean?

12. When I was in the navy, a friend had a cd by Brandon Fields and I liked it.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Flim" = Jimmy Johnson
    BBs = Billy Barber & Bill Berg

I prefer anything JJ did with Holdsworth &/or Wackerman over the DMP stuff.

14. his work on Holdsworth's Heavy Metal Fatigue album just kills me!

from the lows,

Stew

15. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I first learned of JJ when I picked up the Wayne Johnson album Everybody's Painting Pictures from a used record store back in college in '85. It is still one of my fav. recordings.
    I found Metal Fatigue soon after that I became a big fan.
    I got to see him with Holdsworth several years ago. Awesome talent!
    Is he still touring with James Taylor?

Jon

16. Jimmy Johnson played some great bass for Billy Childs too, when Billy's tunes called for an electric player. I am familiar with his work with Holdsworth and James Taylor, butI have never heard the Flim and the BBs recordings. I'll have to check 'em out sometime.

17. the BMP is better stuff, particularly if you're a bassist wanting to hear a great bassist. the dynamics on those albums are ridiculous!

from the lows,

Stew

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Allen Holdsworth just released a live album from 1990 called "Then!' Jimmy's playing is just superb on it.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I forgot about those Childs' albums...His April Touch is very nice.

Very similar to the Holdsworth/IOU albums are the 2 'solo' releases by Chad Wackerman.

20. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles