Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone remember the atari 2600 game system

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Does anyone here remember, still has, or still plays
    that great work of late 70's/early 80's art?

And if anyone still has there old system and games or just games and they want to get rid of it, I'll pay shipping for you to send them up my way.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i used to play that game all the time, although i was partial to the intellivision - much better games. in fact, the mattel sports games for the atari were better than anything else available at the time.

i still have my intellivision somewhere, i oughta break that puppy out and play some. :D

3. BTW. If your interested, there a site totally dedicated to the atari www.atariage.com
    They have a great forum there too with some of the nicest people your ever gonna meet.

*ya know what I think john (If thats your real name), I think you should give me your intellevision*

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D, no actually i'm richard millhouse nixon. i'm just incognito.

and no, in fact, you can't have my intellivision. sorry.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I had Pacman, Missile Command, Omega Race and some others. I gave it to a kid, I think.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i remember pong, the stuff before atari.

i used to have pacman, pitfall, missle command, tempest, night rider, and quite a few others. intellavision was definatly the best back then though, great graphics for back in the day.

7. I got my old Colecovision, and Intellisvision up and running at my grandmas house, i have my coleco vision right next to me, and i play it when i'm bored and it's late at night.Intellisvision i use to play all the time when i was at my grandmas, but it's now replaced by the Virtual Boy, which i found in her basement, anybody remember those?

8. I have a Gemini which is an Atari 2600 that can also play Colecovision games... can you say Donkey Kong!?

I also have an Intellivision but only one game and soon after I bought it I remembered how much I hated the controller when I was a kid and still hate it!

The games are great as John said.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Combat ruled. Airplanes, tanks with shells that bounced off walls, etc. etc. The best was three tiny airplanes versus one huge blocky one. Funny stuff!

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of my favorite games is and will forever be Digdug. A guy running around underground with a bicycle pump literally blowing up monsters.....what where these guys on?:D :p

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have the Sears version of the Atari 2600, does that count? :D It still worked, last time I checked. I think I have Asteroids and some other stuff.

The game that sticks out most was the Activision one (they made the best games for Atari IMO) where you had to shoot down waves of stuff coming at you. I think it was called Megamania, but I'm not sure. You had to save yourself from chocolate chip cookies, Firestone 721s and other crazy stuff.

cassanova,

FYI Pong was Atari's first video game.

12. My dad just found us an old Pong system at a garage sale. Did you know that pong is even more addictive than any of the modern games out now?:D

Rock on
    Eric

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Let me add 2 words:

River Raid.

:D

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I hear ya. Back then, it was all about gameplay, because the graphics sure weren't going to wow anyone.

Nowadays, it seems like it's all about making people blowing up more and more realistically (or slapping DDs on Lara Croft LOL). I think the last non FPS I played that I had to delete to gain my life back was tetris :) . Certainly no mega polygon pusher there.

15. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Just talkin' about that with a friend last night- we were playing Excite Bike and RC Pro-am.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have mine, still works, have half a dozen or so games. Cool retro stuff.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    old games, new games, bad graphics, good graphics - if the game is cool, i'm hooked :D.

anybody know if there are any intellivision emulators for the pc available?

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    holy doodle....i still have my atari 2600...i still play my sega master system hee hee my fave atari games were swordquest: earth world and fireworld...yar's revenge, missile command (i live that game now ;) )...sheesh, i could on all day abotu my 2600. i have over a hundred games :D you can download 'em all now for free. i just play them on the old emulator now and then. great stuff!

19. Yes, Bliss.
    Just look up "bliss emulator" on a search engin and you will probably find a download page.
    and for roms, you can get them at any rom site.

20. Try ebay...they're always flogging them on there.