Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone remember the Spalt vViper?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 12, 2006.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I remember them and played on a few of them,they were not bad at all.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I dig the adjustable pickup. Should be an option in more basses. Change of tone at the drop of a hat!

Or it would totally ruin the sweetspot..

One of those :)

4. When you position the pickup where you want it, is there a way to lock it so it doesn't move around while you're playing?

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    When I last saw and played one it was still going thru the proto stages,but it would sit very firmly in what ever position it was placed in.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I fail to understand the point. why not just install a second p'up in the other location and have a toggle switch?
    Seems gimicky to me.

7. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    supposedly elimates phase issues.

f

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    what phase issues?
    Put another of the same pickup in the other location with an on/on switch. Only one's ever connected to the electronics, no phase issues.
    I stand by my 'gimick' statement.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The concept is logical,there are some frequency spots(positioning of pickups)that normaly are not touched on most basses(even two pickups models) and with this type of pickup some extra ground is/can be covered.rememeber Gibson offered this concept once on a Bass(the grabber).

whether it's a gimmick or not the Bass played well and sounded very nice and no matter what position you would place the pickup you could hear a difference in tone.

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    just repeating what i heard.

i'm not an electronics kinda guy.

JAUQO III-X makes the best points here. better than i can for sure.

anyway, gimmick...innovation?

i like seeing different concepts in a product that rarely sees change.

whether the idea is valid or not, if it sparks creativity in other designers - i consider it a success.

f

11. But what happens when it wears down enough that the pickup moves easily? I still think some sort of locking mechanism would be a good addition.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

there's a screw on it(connected to the base of the pickup bar)that allows one to adjust the firmness as needed.I played several versions of the Spalt vViper and again it really has/had potential.

I recently spoke with Tanya Spalt and was informed that the vViper model is still in production,but most of the companies time has been spent on custom orders

13. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Slightly O.T....

I just went to their site, and man, I REALLY DIG the Hybrid basses!

Ok, resume speaking on the vViper...

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the vViper i have (pictured at the start of this thread) plays like a literal dream!!!

:p

f

15. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    That was the model with pre-tuned strings, right? No tuners necessary.

:ninja:

16. I had a Grabber years ago and I didn't hear much of a change in tone when I moved the pickup. I thought it was a good idea though and I'm glad to hear it works on the Viper.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I agree,I've played my share of Gibson Grabbers and didn't notice a big difference in tonal change and I think it's because the pickup really wasn't getting in that much of a distance in tonal range to begin with no matter what position it was sitting in.the pickup positioning of the Grabber does not cover the positioning possibilities(length of positions to place the pickup) of the vViper.like I said I've played on several vVipers and was asked on many occasions from the Creator what my thoughts were on it and when a luthier consults with me on an issue I have to be honest and the main concept behind the vViper is to give the bass player a very good range option.you really can hear the difference each time the pickup is repositioned.

but beside the oddness of the pickup concept the Bass reall sounds nice and the construction is top notch.

18. As long as we're on the subject of moveable pickups. Is that what's going on in Mike Pope's Fodera here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like that bass has gone through a few changes ;)

19. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I remember hearing somewhere that his bass looks like that because of how many times he has torn out his pickups and put other ones in. As far as i know his bass doesn't have movable pickups.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The Ebony part of Mikes FB is removable,it's held on by a magnetic attachment.