1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone remember this Ampeg 2x15 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lia_G, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Back in the early to mid 90's I remember playing through an Ampeg combo with a front firing 15 and a rear or down firing 15. It was one of the best bass tones I had ever heard. Does anyone remember this combo, possibly the model number? It was heavy, but very sweet.

Thanks for any help,
    Liam

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Search on ampeg isovent

It was an isobaric 15" with 10" front facing

3. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Smyrna, GA
    Are you sure it was a 2x15 combo?

The Ampeg Isovent cabinet, aka "SVT50" was a relatively short, squatty but deep cab with two 15's in the bottom that faced each other and two forward facing 10's above. It was small for having that many speakers but was hellishly heavy. I had one several years ago. It sounded fantastic but was a pain to transport.

4. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I gigged with one for a while. It had 2-10's, and dual 15's in an isobaric clamshell configuration and a tweeter. Ampeg Isovent SVT-50DL. 600 watts full range @ 4 Ohms or 300 watts biamped at 8 ohms for each highs and lows.

Ampegisovent_zps61ac031a.

5. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    The op is referring to the Ampeg SVR215 (with a built in rack) or the DD-215 (without the rack).

I have been using an SVR215 steadily for about 6 - 8 years now and I would never sell it (and I am always selling stuff). It is unbelievable how good sounding and loud it is - - and it is relatively compact.

I did upgrade the speakers in mine because I run it with a very high powered amp. The original speakers were the same Eminence made 15's that are in the SVT15e (but there are two of them) and a horn.

Here is a link to a photo of mine:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=263110&d=1335049773

Matt R and kosmicwizard like this.
  6. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Here is a couple of other threads discussing it a while back:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/interesting-ampeg-cab-rack-head-90s-521034/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/odd-duck-ampeg-cab-709991/

7. They're GREAT looking cabs!! LOVE your rig & Ampeg bass BASS 45 Thanks for the info,links etc.

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005

That's the one! Thanks!

Liam

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
  10. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    That's funny.

If I see one around I will let you know. Unfortunately, I sold my DD-15 just 3 or 4 months ago (I was never using it).

11. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thank You!

I did update the logo to match the SVT IV (the original is a white rectangle type).

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    That's okay. I'm not actively looking for one. It's just one of the best bass tones I've ever heard, and I wanted to remember the model number.

Thanks again!

Liam

13. You've just given me the worst case of Rig Envy!!! Luv 'em!!!

Bass 45 likes this.