Anyone replace a P/H with a Nordstrand NPJ Blade Set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bioflava, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Bioflava

Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Hey TBrs,

Done some searching on TalkBass and YouTube and aside from a few videos, don't see a ton on Nordstrand's PowerBlade and Big J-Blade 4 pickups. From the videos I have listened to, they sound like they would be amazing in my G. Gould GGi4 with an EMG set (I say this b/c the bass has a carbon fiber neck and thus a very focused sound, but I find the EMGs too polite).

Anyone have experience with these pickups?

Also: Has anyone here dropped a preamp in a passive P/J style bass? Aside from the technical aspects, what's your experience? Did it kill the vibe or change the passive tone (if your preamp has a passive option)?

Thanks!

PawleeP likes this.
  2. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I just put a Power Blade and Big Blade with a Bart NTMB in an anemic fretless J that I've been trying to make useful for years. After years of blah, the bass has finally come to life and sounds great. The Power Blade was a little overpowering in a passive P I was assembling, but it and the Big Blade are just what the fretless J needed. I just got a Bart NTMB+FL that I'm going to swap in tonight. That should make it even sweeter. I'm going to wire in a passive/active switch too so I'll get back to you on the blades in passive vs. active.