1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone replaced your Maxon AF9 with other filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by redangel, Apr 26, 2009.

1. redangel

redangel

Aug 4, 2007
    Which one did you replaced with?

I have my AF9 for a few months, its sounds okay to my ear. But I just don't like its design and the switch. I would like to try another filter. So, which one?

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the AF-9 sounds great, but the sliders are really sensitive, and many of the settings are not very useful for bass

I replaced mine with an EBS WahOne and have not looked back!

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I attempted to replace my MuTron III+ with an AF-9. I promptly switched back to my old MuTron III+!

I prefer the AF-9's small form factor, but it just didn't respond as 'naturally' as the MuTron.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I went back to my EBS bass IQ after experimenting with the AF9 as a replacement. Just pure tonal preference. I wanted to love the AF9 since it is true bypass, but I ultimately wanted a more extreme/electronic type tone from my filter. The AF9 is subtle.

5. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    Replaced my AF-9 with a Groove Regulator. Found the AF-9 a bit thin for my liking.

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you can get a BassIQ with true bypass... but the buffered version is super sweet - I've never had any bad interactions with fuzzes because of the buffer, either.

7. redangel

redangel

Aug 4, 2007
    I want some small pedals. I am considering the new true bypass version BassIQ and maybe 442. But the 442 looks too few knobs for me.. help!!

8. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I just bought and then returned a newer EBS BassIQ, I just thought it was way to subtle for my filter tastes.

9. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    compared to the Maxon? or just in general

it's pretty soupy and swampy, and comby-thick, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of filter you prefer?

Maybe you want a bandpass? The BassIQ has a blend trimpot if you want more high end

10. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Compared to the four other filters I have right now:
    -Grinder
    -A00FMKII
    -EP-1
    -Q-tron+
    I thought it was very subtle, the only setting I liked was the hi-q mode and even that was conservative. I haven't played the AF-9 so I can't compare it to that, but I wouldn't recommend the bassiq unless one was looking for a very subtle filter.

11. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    well you certainly have enough filters. and it sounds like you like really sharp spikes too ;)

12. redangel

redangel

Aug 4, 2007
    I don't like subtle filters too... so BassIQ would not fit me?
    Also, I did a research about filters, 442 is a subtle filter too...

13. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the thing is "subtle" can mean a lot of different things. The bassIQ is thick and comby sounding, but it's a lowpass filter so it cuts high end. Bandpass filters (like a wah) will tend to sound harsher because of the filter shape, high "q" and the presence of highs, which makes the resonance more audible

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Thoroughly exasperated with the AF-9, and contemplating replacement.

TBH, I use the Bottom Feeder most of the time.

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tried it next to an EBS BassIQ and Moog MF-101. I chose the Moog.

Also, if you want a cheap but very effective pedal, look at the DOD FX25.

16. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I'd suggest a 3leaf groove regulator or Chunk systems A00funkMKII. While I haven't played a GR, it is a meatball clone just like my grinder and I love it, also the 00funk is just as fun and thick.

17. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I've been really happy with my old Maxon AF-01, but it's the 80's version with the rubbery Boss-like switch. Same control layout as the reissue AF-9 my brother has, but I like my pedal better, plenty funky for me.

18. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I've owned a QTron+ and an original Mutron III. Neither compares to my EBS BassIQ. Subtle would never be how I would explain the BASSIQ...especially in the HI Q mode, my favorite setting. Also, the BassIQ is the only filter I've ever owned that I could not clip the input with my hi output, active basses.

This is exactly why you need to try out effects! We all have different tastes...

19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If I were going to replace mine, that'd be the first thing I'd try out.

20. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Yeah that's the most important thing to remember: different tastes, opinions, playing styles, basses amps, etc.