Anyone ride motocross?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mxbassman, Oct 18, 2005.

1. mxbassman

Sep 7, 2005
    North Dakota
    Does anyone on here race motocross? If you do, what kinda bike or quad do you own? Post pics if you have 'em.
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I used to, but not anymore (too old). When I did ride, I split time between a Suzuki RM125 bike and a Suzuki 250 Quad racer.

Other machines I rode (but didn't own) were a Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250 and a Honda 250X quad.

I also rode Ski-Doo snowmobiles for many years.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    used to ride a suzuki RM125... i miss that thing.
  4. mxbassman

Sep 7, 2005
    North Dakota
    Sweet...i have an RM125 too. Great bike, and i got a hell of a deal on it.
  5. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Yeah I was a total mx head in my younger days, sport of kings I reckon. Still got a yz450 I go out and fall off of, too fast for an old bloke.
  6. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I ride occassionally ... I rent at a track up in Fanling, usually whatever is available, usually Yamahas
  7. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I grew up racing Saddleback and Carlsbad in my younger days. The sport won't leave my blood and I attend the Anaheim Supercrosses and the Outdoor Nationals every year (as a spectator).
    I don't race anymore but get out to the desert a lot in the winter on my '04 Honda CRF450.
    Absolutely love the sport.
  8. I used to race years ago. My main bike was a CR250. That came to a quick end when I cased it over a set of doubles in a semi and broke a shoulder and wrist (opposite sides - right shoulder, left wrist). It left me pretty much unable to do crap for myself for about a month. :(

The bike was sold shortly thereafter. I know, I'm a pansy.... But it hurt like the dickens!!! :D
  9. Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    I had the same thing happen to me the first time I tryed a double jump, but it was on an RMX250 and the suspension was set up real soft for enduro and woods riding, man the double looked tame enough even if it was a 20'er but I ended up having 10 screws and a steel plate with a bone graft put in my lower left (bottom 5 inches) leg bones. My right ankel was also sprained and I couldn't move it for a couple weeks.

But I have a never say die attitude, after I healed I got back on the bike and got back into woods racing for a bit then I made friends with a couple of guys that allways practiced and raced motocross, they helped me break my fear of jumping, After a little teaching and coaching I was able to clear 60' table tops, 20' doubles after that, but I hung it up about 5-6 years ago when I hit 40, my back just couldn't take the pounding. Oh I have perminant ankel movement problems cause my leg was in such bad shape .
  10. Damn... And I thought mine sounded painful! To this day, I keep saying I want another bike... But never have the funds, and when I do, it normally goes for gear. When I sold the CR, I actually bought a ZX-7R. So it certainly wasn't a fear of bikes, it was just a feeling that I didn't want to render myself unable to eat, brush my teeth, and change my own clothes for a month again. lol! Now the ZX is gone too, and all I have is 4-wheeled transportation. :meh:
  11. I used to do dirt track and ice track, back when I was way younger....on ice, I had a suzuki TS50 (big bike, and surprisingly powerful 50cc....hell, I was 10)

My dirt track stuff was either a Honda cr500 (more woodsy, hilly stuff) or a suzuki rm250 (was it "rm" in the early 80's, I forget) but those bikes HAULED.... the 500 was feindishly tall too.

I had a Honda 250 three wheeler too, I never raced that, but it sure was a fun scoot.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a couple quads for me and the kids, either the Honda or Kawasaki foreman types (more utility than racing) to bang around on....I miss it. Lots of fun.
  12. Glider

Sep 13, 2006

Hey we all have to make choices on whats best for ourselves, and good on you for at least giving 2 wheels a go again, many dont. I don't live my life worrying about what might happen, other than ride offensively and defensively at the same time, I still ride my Ultra Glide (hence the handle) and lucky me my fiance also rides her own cruiser too :) and she dosn't bitch when I buy one bass guitar and come home 2 weeks later with another :bassist:
  13. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I do see this thread has moved a bit towards what pain or injury you have inflicted upon yourself while riding this inherently dangerous pastime.

I snapped my ACL and MCL in what has to be the slowest corner on a makeshift track we were riding on. It was a slow motion lowside and I just couldn't yank my left leg out as the weight of me and my bike slowly fell over and tucked it under. I literally heard it break in 3 distinct snaps. Funny thing as it wasn't very painful. At least not as painful as I would have imagined. I had to ride back about 5 miles to camp.
    After surgery, they didn't let me rehab right away because they said my hamstring (which they constructed the new ligament from) was too thin. After a month I began rehab. About a week was spent bending my knee to break all the scar tissue that had built up during that month. "Does this hurt?" "Yes!" "OK, let's bend it some more!" Man THAT was painful!!!
    Needless to say, I still get out there.
  14. Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    I feel your pain! :)
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My first dirt bike was a Honda XR75, at the age of 12. The last dirt bike I owned was a Yamaha YZ125, & sold it when I was about 19.

Living in outerlying burbs of El Paso, means you have almost instant access to open desert, w/o fences. Just fill up & ride.
  16. That was actually my first bike too! Don't remember what year it was, but I bought it from another kid in the neighborhood for $150 I saved up from paper-boy'ing.

Man my mother was FURIOUS when she saw it in the garage!!!! :mad: