Anyone run their 9Vs in parallel?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have an Ibanez Ergodyne EDA900 active bass, and the batteries only last around 10 hours before they start losing voltage. I haven't actually tested the dying battery with a meter for voltage, but it begins to sound distorted and muffled, and changing to a fresh battery solves to issue.
    The 900 has a big enough compartment to hold two 9Vs. I am really asking if I can run 2 9Vs in parallel to double up the amperage available. Has anyone done this?
    Also, I am making the switch to rechargable batteries since the band has so many things that require 9Vs. There is a new 10 battery charger than charges these 9.6V batteries. The higher voltage might just fix my battery issue, and running two of them will make it last a good anount of time. Any thoughts?
  2. Unfortunately, this is more suited to the "pickups" forum than here in setup. And that's where it's going
  3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Did it with my EMG's. Happy I did. More
    headroom and tone "may" have fattened a
    bit too.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Running the batteries in parallel will give you more Ampere AFAIK, running them in series will give you more Volt.
  5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Sounds good, I will try it in Parallel then.
  6. Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    The batteries can only deliver the (mili)amperes that the electronics draw.
    Two batteries in paralell will deliver it for twice as long.

Your electronics must have something wrong with them, or they are improperly designed.
    One 9V battery should last for months!
  7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, I wasn't thinking there (damn alcohol :D ), running in parallel is no use, running them in series will give you around 18V.
  8. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Let us know how the rechargeables do. IME they don't last as long and need replaceing quickly. So if changing them is the hassle the rechargeables may not solve your problem. But let us know.
  9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've been using rechargeables in my bass (Bartolini electronics) for years. No problems, and they last long enough.
  10. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Bekkeland's got a point, sounds like you might have problem electronics if the battery lasts just 10 hours.

I find hard to believe that Ibanez would include a design that needed new batteries that frequently?
  11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Of the few reviews I found on this bass when I bought it, a couple complained of shorter battery life. I try not to leave the cable in longer than I have too because it keeps the preamp on. I don't know if that is with the soap bar and all 4 fishman elements working, or not, but it does die rather quickly. Every couple of weeks it gets replaced.
    I was figuring that the 170 MaH rechargeables wouldn't last as long, but running two of them in parallel would double the capacity (keeping the voltage at 9 V for longer too). It would also start with a higher voltage than other batteries on the market since it is a 9.6 V. I might be able to use if for upwards of a month without taking them out for the 2 hour charge. $20 in rechargables will pay for itself in 2 months.

It isn't like the batteries are dead when I take them out either. I just roll them into the Shure In ear receivers and they work for a while longer. I just think my electronics in the bass need a high voltage for headroom. Kinda sucks, but really nothing I can do at this point (I don't think.) That fishman bridge is kinda proprietary, and I probably couldn't use someone else's board, could I? Making this thing sound a little warmer, comparable to a MM or a Fender would be a great thing. This bass already has the playability factor figured out.

Lastly, we go through so many 9V batteries with our tuners, In ear systems, active basses, and a couple of other things, that the rechargable system makes sense for us. 10 batteries at a time would be great.

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If the problem is voltage, then moving to rechargeables is a bad idea. If I remember correctly, their fully charged voltage is a tad lower than a new akaline. You might also want to consider using a 9V lithium battery because they offer a slightly higher voltage than akaline.

If your preamp can handle it, you may want to run it at 18V instead. This way the batteries can run down further before they need to be replaced. This will save you from having to swap new batteries for good batteries.

If it were me, I'd ditch the bass or the preamp. On any active bass I have ever owned, the batteries have lasted over a year for me. Granted, I only play an hour a day, but hey that adds up over a year.
  13. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I will need to contact Ibanez to see if the electronics will handle 18V. I doubt they will. As for ditching the bass, I really like how it plays, just not the battery life. I would love a M Sterling, but it is going to have to wait.

Also, the 9.6V batteries actually run with a voltage of 9.2-9.4V, which most rechargable batteries I guess only run at 8.4V. I believe most Alkaline batteries run at around 9.2 as well.

Link to the batteries-

Maybe I should just wire up a cable to my instrument cable that goes back down to my pedalboard where I can run off of the 9V power supply for eternity...

14. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Don't run batteries in parallel- particularly rechargeables! WHat will happen is that they'll discharge at different rates, and eventually the one with the greater charge will reverse the voltage of the other and destroy it.

Running batteries in series will give you more headroom *if* your preamp can handle it. Some will be damaged by the over voltage. Best solution short of replacing the preamp is to buy several rechargable and change batteries before every gig. Or every set.
  15. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Changing batteries like normal,what fun is that. It is probably the most viable option.

I don't mind replacing anything in it, but I don't know of anyone who has done it before on an EDA900.

Can you explain the parallel battery issue again, and why other battery systems don't seem to suffer from the same problem. It would seem to be that it would act as one big battery, but I don't know much about it. Could you solve the back issue with some type of diode or something to prevent it from flowing back the other way?

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Most likely they're using an artificial ground to get the + and - voltages for an op amp. Lousy idea. Guess what? Battery dies quickly for no useful reason. My recommendation: replace the preamp with one that works right! There are literally hundreds of good active preamps to choose from. If it were me, I'd restrict my search to "differential input" preamps. That way, you can run your pickups "balanced" into the preamp (which means you don't have to ground one end of the pickup, resulting in less hum and noise and generally eliminating any possibility of a ground loop between the amp and the instrument).
  17. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am very interested in replacing the preamp. I dont know much about them, but am willing to learn. i guess I will start with a question then.

Does anyone know if the fishman pickup in the back of the bridge needs a special preamp or not? I will take it apart and look at it tonight, but I am wondering if I need a special preamp to use those/that pickup unit, as well as the soapbar pickup. I wouldn't mind changing the pickups to something else if needed, but I think I should start with a high quality preamp first, and modify as needed. I would think some serious wood work and paint would need to be done with changing pickups.
    Any recommended preamps to fit my appilication?