Anyone running 2 amps? One vintage one modern?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hillbillyfunk, Aug 12, 2005.

1. My current setup is a 75 p-bass - alembic fx-1 preamp - ampeg svp 1500 power amp - avatar 15. I love the smooth buttery deepness, but want some vintage tube action on top, and was thinking of splitting my signal and overdriving a fender bassman 100 to a 12" cab at the same time.

Anyone have some experience with a setup like this?
  2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Nope, but I saw a Vines video (Get Free) where the bassist had an Ampeg and Hartke 8x10 rig. The guitarist had similar vintage/modern halfstacks.

Hey, if you can balance the amps volume right, get TWO channels in the PA (or buy your own mixer) and be bothered to move more equipment then go for it.

The only way youd know would be to try it, if youve heard an overdriven bassman, and like the sound then do it. Like Ive said, my concern would be the practicality, do you ever need an entirely clean sound?

Maybe someone else will chime in, I know some people here (Brendan comes to mind) that split a signal into a guitar amp for overdrive, theyll know better than I.

I guess this would be perfect though:
    Two preamps, say a vintage and a similar hi-fi pre into one channel each of a stereo poweramp, out to two of the same hi-fi cabs. That way you wouldnt have to worry bout having more/less power on one or different sensitivity cabs. Similar to this:

Ampeg SVP -> Channel 1 of QSC PLX -> Acme B2
    Mic preamp -> Channel 2 -> Acme B2

This started of as a small post, got carried away.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I never really think of situations where I'd need both at once really... but I do have two amp setups at the moment, but only 1 cab (THAT I REALY NEED TO SELL ;) )

One setup is a Sansamp BDDI --> QSC RMX1450 --> Ampeg BXT410

My tube setup is a 70's Ampeg V4B --> Ampeg BXT410

In my SS setup, I use the Sansamp for a LITTLE color, but I like to keep is fairly clean sterile sounding. My tastes in music very A LOT, so there's more than 1 type of tone that I look for. But when it all boils down... it can really all be achieved through 2 rigs for me. One being a hi-fi SS rig (I'd love an SWR with an 8X8 someday) and the other a sweet Tube rig. Orange and Trace are both calling my name.... but since money will likely be an issue, I'll probably settle for a 400+ so that I can have the cash for a big, sealed cab to go with it.

But... everyone has their needs. Some people seek out portability, some seek out warmth, some seek the hi-fi..... it just depends what balance of these things will make you happy. Cuz remember.... two rigs will probably be a lot to friggon take somewhere. :p
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lots of cats here have experimented with the multiple amp setup. also, 12-stringers like tom perterson and doug pinnick have done the guitar amp/bass amp thing for a long time.

the only thing to watch out for is occasionally you'll run into a situation where the inputs of the amps are out of phase. (or something in the signal chain is). It's rare, but it happens. You'll notice it as when the two amps are at about equal volume, your bass response vanishes. turn one amp up louder, and it starts to come back. In that case you'll need to have a phase inverted cable made for you to use with just that setup, but don't worry, you probably wont run into thaqt, and if you do it's an easy fix.

in any event, you can get some great tones doing that live, just be prepared to carry a lot of stuff, and spend more time setting up and "getting a sound" until you're used to it.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Check your PM, bro. I've got a Bassman over here right now you can check out if we can work the timing out.

------------Charlie E