Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone running a carvin TS100 tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Oct 23, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Anyone running a carvin TS100 tube amp? It looks like it might be a lighter weight solution for someone who loves a tube power section (me), doesn't need a wall of sound (me), and doesn't want to want to carry a 100 lb aggie power amp or svt head (me). You could pair this up with a couple of 2x10's, a preamp and be done with it. Any opinions? I did a search but didn't find too much.

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't own one but I have used two. Great power amp but you GOTTA have a decent pre/EQ cause it is as pale as an old Ampeg without one. They really have a nice price, also.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    By "pale", I assume you mean lifeless tone? Wimpy, weak, dull. Is this what you mean or .......? I do appreciate you responding.

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Any advice guys? Any other lighter weight tube power amps out there?

5. Hey Chris,

How's it going pal? I thought about going with the Carvin tube amp myself. I don't think it'd be loud enough for my band though...damn guitar players with their 100w tube heads/412's!!

If you get one, let me know...I definetly want to hear it.

Did you receive the Avalon yet?

Good luck at Northern Lights on Saturday...I'm playing at Ton's.

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I played last night. Got a holloween party tonight or else I would come out to see you. The avalon will be about another 3 weeks but my custom rack unit with the overdrive and compression will be in today!!!!

7. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Soryy, I got stuff in the way of getting right back to you. The Carvin needs a signal-conditioner of some kind in front of it because it has no dynamics of its own. The same is true of a lot of amps so it is not a reason not to get one. I am not a fan of pedals but I do like the variety of preprocessors out there including the Beringer V-thing. An active bass with a full-range EQ onboard might make it unneccesary but I think you would want at least a 5-band EQ if your guitar has passive pickups. IMHO.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    So as long as you run a preamp in front of it your ok, right?

9. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    A preamp with some shaping/EQ is required with this amp UNLESS you have an onboard, active EQ. If you are running passive pickups you will wish you had some sort of preconditioning stuff in front of the amp. Otherwise, good-to-go. Totally depends on "your" sound.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Great. I will have to look into these amps after christmas. Thanks