Anyone running stereo combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kubla Khan, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    I’m considering running two combo amps for creating stereo effects (chorus, reverb, etc) for live playing and recording. My thought is splitting the signal with an A/B box, using a small mixer for line inputs, and patching and assigning effects on various channels, with a stereo reverb through the aux sends & returns. Finally, take the outs from the mixer to the left and right combo amps.

Anyone using anything similar for small live stereo rigs? Would this create a noise nightmare for the combo amps?

Kubla Khan
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've been playing stereo for almost two decades.
    I don't use combos though, I just use a stereo preamp (Alembic F-2B) and power amp setup with a stereo chorus.
    Two combos should work just fine, just make sure that whatever you use to split the signal from your bass doesn't also split the signal strength as well.

Here's my rig:
  3. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    Thanks woof. You've got a nice setup, I like the F2-B. I thing the simple route of A/B box will give easy access to two combos. The only problem I've had so far is when I take the stereo out of the Lexicon reverb unit to each amp. I get some kind of weird ground noise going on. That's why I was thinking a small mixer might smooth out the signals, patching in the effecrs prior to going to the combos (almost like a small pa, without having to buy more amps). These little mixers are so inexpensive these days.

Thanks for your input.