Anyone running two DB115's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, Mar 7, 2010.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi all,

Would love some perspective here.

I just did a gig the other night here in LA using a single Aguilar DB115 powered by an AG500. It sounded so good, I'm going to get one of those cabs for sure. One of them alone seems great for a small to mid-sized gig. But I would like to augment that with another cab for kind of a modular, mid-sized rig that can get quite loud.

Does anyone here use two of those cabs? How does it sound and feel?

Of course, it seems logical for me to also consider a DB210 on top, but I'm loving the tone of the 15's, and I'd be inclined to turn off the horn of the DB210 anyways, I'd guess. I'd be willing to hear arguments for that setup as well, though.

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts!
    Best,
    JMJ

2. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i have not seen anyone use a db115 here in the SF area! 2 should sound killer though...
    i would not mix with a db210--mixing different cabs is a crapshoot. besides, which
    one would you eq for?

on a side note, i have a db210 that sounds amazing. i would love to stack 2 of
    them tall ways, for half an 810 (the tall half) they have lots of booty for a 210.
    what do you think?

3. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    Hey Justin -

I haven't tried two Aguilar 1x15's but I did have immense joy with two GS112's. Just found them to be plenty for clubs/theatre's. A different tone from the DB series, and 15's in general, but I think you'd be a happy camper with two DB 115's.

Good luck, and thanks for all your great playing.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Whenever I think of 2 15s, I think of an older band from costa mesa called Smile. They were on atlantic. Their bass player used an old Mesa 2x15 and they played so loud it hurt, but unlike most bands that do that, it sounded GREAT. Those 15s really hit you in the chest at club distances, but they didn't sound harsh even though he was running a lot of top end and playing with a pick -- it was just big and brash and sitting perfectly in the mix. So I say go for it!

5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah, I had that same Mesa cab, still regret selling it, though I do have two Mesa 1 x 15's still that are awesome. But the DB115's are even better.

Anyone out there with this exact combo - two DB115's?

6. Zerstorte Zelle

Zerstorte Zelle

Jan 8, 2010
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, D'addario Strings
    Glad to hear positive feedback on the db115. I've been thinking about picking up 2. Color me interested.

7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    Aggie stuff has always seemed like a perfect match for your playing in my eyes, Justin. Cool modern gear that is perfectly constructed, with lots of thick vintage vibes and tones. I've thought about giving aggie 2x12 or 1x15's a try as well, and am definitely interested in your thoughts.

-Grady

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    2 15s rock! (i know my two compact LDS 15" cabs do.)

9. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Cool takes, thanks.

But no one with two DB115's, eh?

JMJ

10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've run two DB15s with and Aggie AG500s.
    Tone Heaven.
    1x15, gets the job done for small gigs.
    But for anything big, the added head-room, is great, with 2x15.
    This rig with my 1966 P-Bass with TI flats is tone city.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As a huge fan of the DB115 (a lovely mate for my DB750), I've been wondering/debating about adding a second one for the occasions that can handle it. I expect it will just be more of a very good thing.

I also have a DB210 that I've run solo for small settings, but I found that it doesn't have nearly the low-end extension or overall balance found in the DB115. Used in tandem with a DB115, however, the DB210 privides an added thrust to the mid-range definition, and seems to be a nice compliment to the DB115 when you need a bit more punch and sizzle.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    hey justin, a lot of us have been "brainwashed" here into using matched cabs with a single amp to help keep phasing issues down. a lot of people do run 210/115 rigs and love them, but mismatched cabs can often interact negatively and overly reinforce certain notes and phase out others. i would expect two different aggie cabs of the same series to have way less phasing issues than most, but it's always been my experience that you'll get at least a little. might matter to you, might not...all depends on the rig.

if it were me, i'd be all over that two db115 rig. if the db115 killed by itself, think how good two of them will sound together! and depending on what the 10"s aggie uses top out at, you may not even get more high end out of the 210 than the 115. that's what i would do, anyway...ymmv. i have a feeling whatever you do will end up sounding great, though...hard to go wrong when you play like you do.

13. brainwashed is right.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well if it makes you feel a little more sanctimonious to say that, go right ahead. but honestly, i never did the mixed rigs even before i knew anything about phasing issues. just never cared for them. but then it all made sense once i learned this stuff.

15. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I used 2 of those on a rental gig with my gb head... It had throatiness, bottom, punch etc. very nice.. If i were touring again i would put a rig together like that.. but 2 DB115s wont fit in my car... but they sounded great.. the only other 15 cab that i liked better was an old Bag End S15B-D. Its the real deep 15 cab . thinks its 24" deep... holy smokes that cab is smooth and articulate for a 15.

As far as mixing cabs.. yeah there are folks on TB that are very concerned about the science of sound.. I have an analytical mind too but if a whole pile of cabs mismatched sounds great.. I don't really care about the theory of why i shouldn't do it. I do it because it works for my situation.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've not had a chance to run the DB115's, but I I have run a couple other brands of 2x115; and I like it.
    I say hit it and run!

17. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Dudes,

This is so epic. I think I'm going to order TWO of those bad boys, and blow off the 10's. Basically this: If one sounded great, two will be even more of the same.

Stoked on this! And plenty of highs for me, by the way. Effects sounded cool through it. I LOVE the way 15' handle the upper mids...I feel like I don't have to work as hard with my hands to get the cabs to speak in a forthright way.

JMJ

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    once again, i have to recommend chocolate thunder.

:bassist:

ariwax likes this.
  19. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    I noticed Stu Brooks from Dub Trio is sometimes using this rig instead of the GS412 and he occasionally appears on Talkbass so, maybe send him a PM. Otherwise am sure the Aguilar guys have the lowdown.

Let us know how you get on Justin! :)

20. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Yeah,, 15s to me have a certain throatiness which can sound real nice. Report back when you get the pair and let us know how the final road test went

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021