1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone see a Bongo in any NYC music shops?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadrogong, Mar 15, 2008.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I'm thinking of ordering a custom built Sterling, but I must admit,I love the hi-tech look of the Bongo..

although I've never played one,I'd like to try one before pulling the trig on a Sterling..
    I do prefer the Sterling's 1.5" nut,
    but I can work with a 1 5/8,it's just not as quick for me.

Can I assume that the Bongo has a similar bridge tone?

and has anyone seen one hangin' anywhere in NYC?

2. One for sale on Boston's Craig List for $900

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Matt Umanov has one (last time I was there two weeks ago), it's a fiver in Desert Gold.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you get a HH or HS bongo the tone of the bridge humbucker solo'd will not be quite the same as the sterling. Besides the difference in preamp and pickup contruction, the pickup is simply not in the same place. However, on the single H bongo, it is.

5. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    Check guitar center on 14th between fifth and sixth, every time I go there they have a few

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    5 string candy apple red , and a 4 string in some dark silverish color. GC on 14th st, as of yesterday

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I've seen one in the GC in Queens.
    Matt Umanov is a big MM dealer, so I'm sure they'll have 'em. I don't think they are hard to get either. Any of those stores can order one for you no prob.

8. Yes, I was there a month ago and bought an acoustic guitar. I think there were 2 bongos there, but can't be 100% sure.

They did have a few very nice HH and H Stingrays, Stingray 5s and a couple of Sterlings.

Mike

9. And just to post:

MusicMan doesn't do custom orders for anyone outside of their fairly small group of endorsers (TLev, LaRue, Petrucci, Luke)... and "our" Jack. :D We're lucky Sterling has seen a market for even higher-end instruments and we now have the Limited Editions/20th Anniversaries/Ball Family Reserve quasi-Custom instruments have started to come out of the factory.

10. Slapped

Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I know the GC in Long Island City has one or two. The one in Manhattan should definitely have some.