Anyone See R n' R Hall of Fame Inductions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Mar 22, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wondering what your impressions of the induction ceremonies were last night?

For me, the induction of Johnnie Johnson was moving ! Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" was named after this guy, his pianist, and Richards found him driving a senior citizen bus in my hometown, St. Louis. It was about time he got his props. Upon receiving the award, he said, "This is the proudest moment of my life."

Too bad Will Lee couldn't escape Letterman's lap dog and his cheesy sounding organ on an Aerosmith song! :eek: !!!

Richards was........uh, well, Keith. What were those things in his scraggly hair? He seemed like he was jonesing when he kept pulling on his jacket. That guy is just so out there.

Brian May showed he is still one helluva guitarist. Who was playing bass for Queen with that Stingray?
  2. I thought Steely Dan was hilarious. "Well, since we already said all we want to say on our website, I guess we'll just open the floor for questions."

Someone asks a question and Becker says, "That's too hard. Here, I have a question. Who was the original drummer for The Mothers Of Invention?"

Someone in the audience actually shouted out "Jim Black!". That was it!
  3. rickbass

Typical for Becker and Fagen, wasn't it? Two very sharp guys. (Boy, the vocals were pathetic though!)

I knew the answer, too. Jimmy Carl Black is one of the funniest musicians I ever saw or heard.
  4. Yeah, that was a pretty "loose" version of Do It Again.

5. rickbass

HOT DAMN, STINGRAY My hero, "Lonesome Cowboy Burt" (a.k.a., Jimmy Carl Black, "the Indian of the group"). Where'd you get that picture? I've been trying to get a video copy of Zappa's "200 Motels."

Thanks! You just made my day!
  6. Lonesome Cowboy Burt, love it. i just picked up 200 motels about 2 years ago. sorry i can't remember were i got it. maybe towerrecords.

i think it might be out of print again.
    try, they have it. :D
  7. NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    Anybody know when that is playing again? I missed it last night due to lack of planning and school work.

rickbass1, do you mean to say John Deacon wasn't playing bass for Queen? What gives?
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I think the most horrible part was the terrible versions of the Bob Marley tunes who was that chick singer she was awful. Bono sort of had it together and what the hell was Melissa Ethridge doing up there.
    I thought (I'm not a fan) Ricky Martin did a great job with the Richie Valens tribute.
    Aerosmith was fantastic 30 yrs and still rocking!
    Will Lee is still one of my favorite players.
    I liked Paul Simon to he's got a great bass player but I can't spell his name.
    What happened to John Deacon?
    Overall it was a pretty good show I thought.
    How about Kid Rock asking Aerosmith what they were thinking with the Super Bowl, That was classic.
  9. rickbass

I don't know what the deuce was going on with "Deacy." Evidently, whomever was directing the camera shots was a musical illiterate, because all the shots were of May, Taylor, and the audience. Not that the basslines were anything special, but you think they could give the guy some props. Maybe there's some bad blood because May and Taylor didn't even say something like, "Our old friend John couldn't be here tonight, but...."

Nuke - VH1 will repeat it periodically. If they're true to form, it will be repeated ad nauseum till 2002.

Gruff - Thanks for the tip! Time to go shopping.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was cracking up. There's the ubiquitous Paul Shaeffer plowing around through the band, acting like they need him to point at the next player for their solo. But after all, he IS the hippest cat on earth. Also , in Steely Dan's defense, that wasn't their band or their backup singers behind them. Who was the bass player? It sure as hell wasn't Tom Barney. Fagen's voice wasn't up to snuff either, but that may have been due to a lack of effects processors on the broadcast signal.

Yeah, ol' Keith is probably the only one on the planet who could go on national TV that ripped and get away with it. I was thinking, "Well, that's just Keith," too.
  11. rickbass

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know what you're saying rickbass - I thought the same way. But there's got to be a reason why he pops up leading the band at the Super Bowl, and at those all-guitar things with Clapton, Cray, Springsteen and the like. Also on network TV almost every night. And, of course, at the RnR Hall of Fame inductions. Chances are, he's a hell of a musical director - first call world-wide. But goofy as they come. Would I act that dufus if I could rub elbows with all the best musicians in the world (excluding classical)? mmmmmm ... maybe.
  14. Maybe I was dozing off at the time, but I could've sworn they cut off the two jam songs at the end! Literally, just cut off the first one right in the middle, straight shot into the next song!! And in the middle of the second song they rolled credits and then cut that one off too!! And why is Tom Hamilton relegated to the tambourine??!? They have Letterman's bassist playing instead? What??!? Excuse me, but who was just inducted?? And where is Steven? He was sitting in the audience watching, that's where!! The jam session at the end was the most anticipated as far as I was concerned, and they blew it big time. Huge disappointment.

But Aerosmith did rock at least. I thought Paul Simon's part seemed thrown together, a little too loose. Maybe it's his age ruining his voice, but 'Me and Julio' wasn't really up to standards. No offense meant to any Simon fans.
  15. Amen. I had to change the channel thirty seconds into that one.
  16. rickbass

Who did you see, Chuck or Johnnie and how was it? (Last I knew of Johnnie, he doesn't play in public anymore. Hell, he didn't even play at the ceremony).

If it was Chuck, know that you should be amazed if it sounded coherent. Being a native of St. Louis, I've played with him and the way he works is like a Chinese fire drill. If they don't use a call list, you go to an audition and get selected. Then you show up and get called from the green room when Chuck shows up. (If the promoter hasn't provided a Cadillac limo, he'll get back on the jet). Then there's no tune up or anything. Chuck just expects you to to jump into whichever key and tuning ("mistuning") he and his Gibson happen to be using.
  17. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I missed the Michael Jackson part. Did he even perform? I doubt it. What a freak!!!!
  18. Originally posted by rickbass1

Who did you see, Chuck or Johnnie and how was it? (Last I knew of Johnnie, he doesn't play in public anymore. Hell, he didn't even play at the ceremony).

Hi Rickbass 1

It was Johnnie Johnson that I went to see - he's doing a fair sized tour around Australia at the moment.

His performance was just beautiful - he's got a real nice touch on the piano and plays some great stuff. I can't give too much of a review as the Emu Bitter was going down a bit too easily :) but I certainly know that i enjoyed what i was hearing!

He's got a website with tour details - seems like he's got a few dates back in USA and Canada upon his return in April - I'd recommend seeing him if you get a chance - nice to hear one of the 'originals'?

The website is \

Sounds like your experience with Chuck was an interesting one - nothing like a bit of ego eh? :)

19. rickbass

dean- That's really great to know! A lot of people tend to under-appreciate the significance of these guys while they're alive, especially in the US, (including me). I guess they're just too accessible. Johnson must feel like he has a new life. I imagine there will be several chances to see him and I'll do so based on your input.

Chuck is one odd number, (and kind of a prick, IMO). He will only sign one autograph a day, no exceptions. And his sexual tastes are pretty disgusting. That's a whole story by itself. :eek: