Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone see Sting last night...?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Mar 17, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    at the R&R Hall Of Fame induction on VH1? I thought he was completely bad a. Roxanne was amazing. They did like a new extended version of the song. It sounded like he was using some mild distortion on the verses.

I know it will probably never happen but The Police NEED to tour again. It would rule.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i saw the thing after it last night at midnight. talked about the police.

man, all those little brats did was beat the crap out of each other!!!!!

but it was funny!

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I was surprised. I am a huge Police fan and I didn't think Sting could hit those notes anymore (Roxanne).:D

The original report I got was that they had also worked up "Message In A Bottle". Did it get cut, edited?

PS. As much as I love the guy, Steven Tyler should NEVER sing impromptu with anyone on an awards show EVER again. Forget about the terrible backups on "Every Breath You Take" (with Gwen and John) :( , when Brian Johnson (AC/DC) is more on pitch than you are it's time to bow out. :rolleyes:

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Right! Totally agree!

5. I agree the AC/DC thing was bad - but I was not impressed by the Police either, especially Andy Summers' guitar playing - he seemed old, tired, and out of sync.

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Maybe it was just Stewart trying to rush again?;)

7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I agree. He was OK at best.

PhatBasstard, great comment on Mr. Tyler. I totally agree.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I am SO sick of Steven Tyler showing up at all these awards things and barging onstage during everyone's song; even more than Mick Jagger, he's the consummate overage geriatric former rocker who can't get it through his head that he's past it. He also can't sing worth a wooden nickel anymore. The ACDC and Police sets would have been infinitely better without him. For that matter, why did they drag that damp little nancyboy John Mayer into this?

9. I loved the Police's performance. It was great to see them. I wish they would tour, they have so much talent.

Did anyone see Stuart's busted drum head? It broke during "Every Breathe You Take" and he played with it until almost the end of the song.

I loved Elvis Costello and the Attractions' performance, too. I loved their music, and I'm glad they got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    and for that matter, I feel the Clash got kinda stinted...........

11. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    It would have been awesome to see The Clash (w/Joe Strummer) play last night.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I loved the Police's performance of Roxanne. Stewart Copeland is such a funny cat. And it looked like Sting did some slapping. I know he always plucked with his thumb, but it looked like he did some thumping in Roxanne.

Seeing Angus Young with short hair was strange though. :eek:

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, during the Police years, he always (except for upright) used a pick. The thumb/finger thing started during his solo career.

14. I agree completely.

I liked the show, one of the better classes. But I skipped over AC/DC's presentation, I give them respect but I can't stand Steven Tyler in the least. And I hated it that he came on to sing with AC/DC (don't get me started about the Police) he was too much of a jerk and a rockstar to make it look natural, and what's more...WHY THE HELL WERE AEROSMITH INDUCTED BEFORE ACDC???? Did Aerosmith get together before ACDC? Because even then ACDC have seniority over them (They're a hell of a lot more consistent)

I thought the Police weren't bad, they got better as they played on, I didn't think Gwen and John were that bad. Copeland was mad into that, playing a broken snare until the very very end (it got replaced).

The Attractions (or was it the Imposters that played...) stole the show. But I was heartbroken that the Clash didn't play...:( :( :(

Admittedly though, Joe would be hard to replace.

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I really liked the tone Sting got from his old Fender P-bass. What year is that, a '51?

His vocals are so much more mature now than the original recordings. And he can still nail all of the high notes!

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes! This surprised me too. I may have to re-think my "old Fender/passive pickup" bias.:bassist:

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hahahahahahaha, You are so right!!

I though all the performances were awesome,

The only thing I was bummed about was Elvis didn't let Bruce play bass!!! He was still great though
    How bout the Righteouse Bro's! I thought they were great..

Looks like AC/DC's original drummer was back but they had a new bassplayer, I thought they did a great job also......until Tyler came out and sang with him, That was the first time I ever seen him outa the groove:D

The Police! Were Freakin awesome, I thought Sting had a pretty good tone coming outa that 54,, Did ya see he had a Stng Sig model just off to stg left.
    Stewart is a killer drummer, I loved how he pointed the camera at the broken snare at the end...
    \Great show

18. Uh, no they didnt, that was Cliff Williams.

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ooops Sorry It looked like him

20. it looked like him? who? what? I'm confused ....

I was saying the bass player is and was Cliff Wiliiams - and yes, that was Phil Rudd on drums too.

uh .... heh