1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone see that mermaid documentary on Animal Planet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by twocargar, May 28, 2012.

1. I was falling asleep after watching MadMen last night and saw a very interesting show about the possibilities of mermaids, how almost every culture has references to them, partial skeleton, a couple photos, and even short VIDEO clips of them. It kinda freaked me out at 1AM. Anyone else see it?

2. Don't eat cheese at night bud, it messes with you! :p

Hoax hybrid skeletons are present through many cultures, ways of producing something physical based on a myth.

Photos and videos don't mean much IMO, people have been able to manipulate those mediums for as long as they have been around (Cottingley Fairies, Loch Ness Monster).

I'll have to see if I can find it online though, could be an interesting watch. Though the phylogenetic trees are so seperated between primates and cetacea, it would be a hard gap to have filled (not saying it would be impossible, just that I don't think that evolution could have happened).

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Partial skeleton? They found partial mermaid skeletons? If so was it proven scientifically?

That's interesting indeed, I'll be watching this thread.:)

Edit: Did they find human skeletons shaped as fishbone or fishbones shaped as human skeletons?:eyebrow:

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Fiji mermaid..
    hoaxes and frauds have been around for a long long time.

I saw the previews and the first thought that came to mind was "oh dear god have they completely run out of show ideas!??" I didnt watch it..

That said, as far as wide-ranging cultures all having similar legends, I had read an interesting article years ago about dragons. Not so much that they had actually existed, but what it was about the human psyche that transcends culture and distance and such that leads vastly different cultures to adopting similar symbolism,
    neat stuff

5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Dragons are real.

[​IMG]

:D

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Kimodo dragon!

7. The doc was a mix of CGI stuff, much like the Walking With Dinosaurs scenes-live action with added CGI, as well as three ex-NOAA scientists who claim to have examined the remains as well as recorded the echolocation (unlike any other marine mammal) of the species. 'Big Brother,' as they refer to the government, seized the remains, and all they had left was the audio recording. Fox Mulder woulda been proud. If you go to believeinmermaids.com it has been supposedly shut down by the Feds. A bit over the top...

Real? I dunno. But it was entertaining.

8. The website is owned by "Discovery Communications, LLC"

Certainly sounds entertaining though.

9. All I care about: How would I access the girl-thing? No smilie, serious business.

10. Maybe they have sexual organs similar to whales or dolphins (or fish).

11. I watched it. I'm not sure if it was a real documentary based on facts 100% or if it was a fake documentary posing as a platform for a real theory. because I'm sure the aquatic ape split theory is not band new, so it could have just been a fake documentary with a real background. such as a based on true events movie, or another doc that is like this is called "who is Casper Car: street thief". this doc was all acting a fake, but it was based on how thieves actually break in and steal things.
    On the the other hand, if that was actual camera phone footage and "bodies" really we're reported with this mass beechings and the whole research project that they were doing really was sponsored and interfered with by the government then it would be a real doc.
    but as stated before, it's commonplace now to make a "documentary" that is not real, but based on reality. "I'm still here" with Juaquine Pheonix is a good example of that. those mass beechings were real though, I remember all that going on a few years ago, I just don't know of bodies were really reported to have washed up with the bodies of the whales.
    I'm a slight doc enthusiast lol

12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    We have a word for, errrm, for a mouth that can perform the breeding tasks like a vagina in Turkish, which is a really bad insult indeed.:D

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Regardless, there's a good probability that Maki's done worse.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Oh, come on, you HAVE to share that!! I need a few new curses in my repertoire!

16. ^yes, please^

17. Haha, true that

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Didn't see the documentary. But this thread immediately made me think of this old Bobby Bare song: The Mermaid.

19. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Mermaids... or Minotaurs?...

20. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    The whole "mermaid" idea had me going for the first hour.... then we decided to actually google the WA beaching and came across the a hit on the show being called a "docu-fiction".

I have never heard of "docu-fiction" :eyebrow:

Then we got it. Couldn't really watch the end of it. It got pretty hokey.