Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone see the latest BP magazine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Dec 19, 2002.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    looks like another winner of an issue... I just flipped through it quickly! Until I saw a very interesting Cort add, where they are showing a new bass for Josh Paul that was designed by Rob Elrick! Here is the pic...

[​IMG]

Thanks very much... i'll take it! anyone know anything more about these? the cort website doesn't have much info...

P@

2. I dig BP in a big way. I also get BASSICS and that's a cool mag, too...

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I haven't received my issue yet, but it doesn't suprise me that Cort has done this. I'm guessing that this model will be right around 1K or so. This seems to be the trend right with most builders. With the economy the way it is, people will by a bass made overseas as long as the attention to detail is there. I recently purchased a MTD Grendel, and only wished that I could have bought one a while ago. It's so good, and it was so cheap, relativley speaking. I applaud the cmpanies like MTD, Lakland, Spector, and Warwick who have built top notch basses at affordable prices. I only wish more would do it, and I applaud Cort if that is what they are doing.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I applaud the affordable basses too. What I don't applaud is builders who make them look like their US counterparts. Run out of ideas?

This looks way too much like an Elrick I have on the way.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think that's the point. I think it's not that they run out of ideas; it's that they are trying to appeal to an audience who knows the quality of Elricks, and the visual similarity of them is a way to give credibility to their foreign-made counterparts. If it said Cort Elrick and looked like a BC Rich Warlock, you wouldn't draw nearly the amount of buyers as you would if you made it look like the high-quality product that a buyer wants but can't afford the American version of. It's sort of like Elrick giving the nod, like saying "I'll not only put my name on this-I'll give it my signature body design so customers will know that I back it thoroughly." IMO, anyway.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    As I think about your quote, I must agree. It lowers percieved the value/uniqueness of their handmade instruments. If my Korean made MTD Heir looked like my MTD American, I would probably feel a bit ripped off. The heir has abody shape and ergonomics that are similar but different enough the know they are in a different class.

I don't know if either Rob Elrick or Josh Paul have a big enough name in the industry to sell the demographics that would buy this bass. I am interested in how successful it will be. I also find it interesting that Cort is the primary company here unlike MTD, Lakland, etc who have a Korean factory build the instrument but they retain the name, marketing, etc

Mike

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh boy! I like the bass, but I wonder how the US Elrick owners will feel. Like Mike, I too, think that if boutique builders are going to go this route, they should a different body shape.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I must say I feel just a bit cheated... That body design is way to identical to My Elrick. But hey, I guess its a good career move for Rob Elrick

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I guess what makes it worse is that the econo basses has the same headstock as the more expensives one. Logo and all. I guess the word "Cort" will be on it in itty bitty letters.

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I like the fact that these builders are getting into basses that are less expensive then their top-of-the-line models. I can't afford to go throw down thousands on a bass. But these budget basses are perfect for me... I can't wait to try one of these out, it can go right next to my Lakland Skylines! :p

P@

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Understood but it's the same old story. This just undermines the value of the US built basses. Think Cort Curbow. Most people wouldn't pay for a US Curbow, basically because of the too close resemblance to the less expensive luthite basses.

All he had to do was come up with something like an Elrick but not so much so that it's probably indistinguishable from 20 feet. Mike Tobias showed that you don't have to do a knockoff of your own stuff to be successful.

As before, it's probably a great business decision but it sucks from the POV of people who've already bought his stuff.

Can't wait for the Samick Emperor singlecut;)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I remember hearing that he was going to do an original design, not a knockoff. Oh well.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I talked with Rob two years ago at NAMM in cali about this and expressed my opinion. This body style was pretty much designed at that time. I agree I hate the idea of this, and for good reason. This bass looks good and has all the bartolini qualities. For the money I would say that this is a good buy for US Elrick players. I see a fall in value on his US basses coming (as happened with lakland)! His US instruments in other country's might pickup or stay the same, but over hear people will just buy the cheaper ones.

It’s said when this happens!

Fodera just came out with a cheaper model which is great for them, but its still US and will not down play their other instruments.

Chris Benavente has come out with the Vortex and the base model sells new for around $1500. This to is totally made buy him, but he can build it faster and appeals to people who can't afford the more expensive instruments.

Oh well, maybe by doing this it will open more doors for luthiers who build amazing basses and have had trouble shining through because of the bigger names. This will begin to weed out some of them by turning customers to open their eyes and look at builders not interested in selling their name. But then if you had ask Rob Elrick 5 years ago he would have probably laugh at the idea, so its tuff to say...........

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I agree with what most of you are saying, but it's about time that these builders come to their senses and do this. You can only sell so many boutique basses a year. So knowing that, the builder can charge an arm, a leg, and your frist child for one. Who can blame him! He's got to make a living too and should price accordingly. MTD and Lakalnd were really the ones that understood how this works. They realized that there's a group of people much larger than boutique buyers that want and will buy their basses. They sent them out to another country and that lowers the price. They are very close in design, almost too close in the case with Lakland. Their US basses don't sell for nearly the same as they used to. My Grendel's body is nearly the same as my 535 except for the headstock, but there is enough of a difference from the 535. So from that stanpoint I agree that these companies should change the design slightly so they don't force the sales down of their own US basses. But at the same time, the closer it looks like the real thing, the more people will buy. It's a Catch 22 for the builders, it's great for us players who want to have a few basses, and I guess it sucks for all you collecters.

15. oh, I thought you were referring to the creepy photo(s) of Ryknow...or Rud-D, or whatever he is calling himself these days.

16. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, i was thrilled to see another great cover article... So far, the only thing I have found about this issue is the bass in discussion and the article on tendonitis...

P@

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Wouldn't bother me a bit if one of the MTD imports was shaped just like my 535.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Or if the market was flooded with them and your bass was seriously devalued because of it?

Cool.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    MTD and Lakland took two very different paths and no... a Grendel will not be mistaken for a 535 except by someone who doesn't know what they're looking at, any more than you'd mistake it for a Modulus Genesis.

You don't have to be a collector to buy one high end bass. Someone who paid $2800 for a new Lakland last year would take a serious hit because of the Skylines now. You're rewarded for, in essence, supporting this builder by having them pull the resale rug from under you.

For anyone who doesn't care about that, cool. For others who buy in part because they thought they wouldn't lose value to an in-house knock-off, not cool.

This pretty much amounts to telling your supporters "Sorry, sucks to be you". Not cool.

I know some people don't get this and that's cool, too.

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here's another thing that will happen.

If the two basses inquestion are very close in appearance... lots of Korean ones will be sold as American on ebay...