Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone see the Lightning Bolt DVD?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan bailey, May 19, 2004.

1. I friend of mine just "The Power Of Salad And Milkshakes" And I must say, I am becoming a fan 9 times faster than I was.

Just a little background for people who don't know of them, or don't live in RI.

A duo consisting of bass and drums. The drummer has a small set, just 2 floor toms, high hat ride snare and bass. And there bassist has a couple four strings, but they all has only three strings. Which is a little weird in itself.

Also, at every show they don't play on a stage, they plan on the floor of where ever they are. And the bassist now has a 3,600 watt(I kid you not) bass amp.

So anyone else, seen/have this dvd, are familiar with the band?

Anything? :eyebrow:

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I saw them play at my school. Great show. Couldn't hear afterwards.

I don't have the DVD, just their 2nd CD. I'm hoping they'll come back to RI this summer so I can see them again. Good show. They're sort of on the vanguard of the noveu/noise rock aesthetic: i.e.: playing on the floor, bright flourescent album covers, singing with a mike strapped onto your mouth.

If you like them, you might also want to check out Pink & Brown. They're a guitar/drum duo with a lot of similarities to Lightning Bolt, and are on Load Records as well.

Two more things: Their drummer sings/screams the inaudible vocals. And, from what I could see, I think the bassists' G-string is actually a guitar string, that's how he pulls of his "shred" stuff.

3. On every song on the DVD, the bassist only had three strings on his basses. And if you look in all their pictures, he only has 3 strings on his basses.

[edit]Now that I look very very VERY carefully, I beleive you are right. He is using a guitar string as a fourth one. It does explain a lot though.

4. Here's a video of them playing, note the speaker excursion. I'm scared of my hearing after seeing them. :eek:

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Somehow, I like them. Usually not my thing.

that throbbing, pulsating speaker.... ouch.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm not positive. But I think the guy that jumps into the crowd might be Pink, of Pink and Brown fame.

EDIT: The sound its off on the video. The drumbeats don't line up with his motions. Kind of eerie.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    interesting band, worth a listin for those who have no idea who they are.