Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone see the 'live autopsy' on channel 4, (England)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 21, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    hi, did anyone see the live autopsy carried out on channel 4 at about midnight last night?

That artist, gunter van haven (i think) did it, hes the dude who 'plastics' corpses and 'models' them into posistions after carving away skin and organs (well if thats the appearance he's after in that 'peice').

The show was really strange, yet i couldnt help but watch 45 minutes of it before i becmae too tired.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Damn - no, I didn't even know it was being televised!

I would have watched it if I'd known!

I gather the police and CPS are trying to see if they can bring a case against him because he performed it on unlicensed premises. I hope they leave him alone, I don't see what harm he's doing - if people don't wanna see it, don't buy a ticket or don't watch the TV programme!

Discovery channel used to have a series called 'The Operation' that went into great detail! What's the difference - 'licensed premises'???? :rolleyes:

3. Wow, I'm surprised it went ahead, I was under the impression the police told him he needed a special licence to do it in public, and that if he went ahead they would turn up and arrest him.

Having said that, I would have watched it if I had known it was on last night.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I thought they'd stopped him.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It did go ahead - it was on the News at 10 last night - they showed the faces of people in the audience who were clearly "uncomfortable" . ;)

The Police were there, but I don't think they could do anything unless there were complaints or "civil disorder". No crime was being committed and it went smoothly.

I'm not that interested, but it happens every day in teaching hospitals - so if all parties agree then I can see no problem - as long as you can keep your dinner down when the smell wafts over......:eek:

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I get the impression that the man himself may have looked into the legality of his actions.

All I heard about from the authorities was that it was definitley an offense - however the police did nothing at the time, and are now consulting with the Cronw Prosecution Service to see if there is a case!

I'll be honest and say that I think our justice system is having enough trouble coping with real criminals, to go chasing a guy like this. However ,maybe what they are trying to do is stop 2nd year med students perfroming a home autopsy on 'Uncle Fred who passed away last night';)

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    off topic, but did anyone think van hagen looked at all liek the guy of indiana jones and the lost ark who burns his hand on the coin?

I found it quite amusing the part where some clever git in the audiance shouted 'surely its respectable to the deceased to remove your hat', and he replied 'im honouring those who used to do this 180 years ago', and pointed to a painting of a late 1700's public autopsy!

The part that chilled me a bit was the bit where he 'opened' the corpses skull with a bonesaw "eeeeeeh-eeeh-eeeeeeh-eeeh" the crowds reaction to that was just as Bruce said: "clearly "uncomfortable""

8. i watched the first half of it.

i was quite interested to see what happens during a autopsy and find out a bit more about it, and was very disapointed with the program. They showed the initial cuts being made, and from then on all you saw were peoples faces and the back of the people doing the autopsy, which i thaught was a bit pointless. people who watched the program would be watching to see the autopsy, not peoples faces!

ah well

l8rz

Tom

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've seen live autopsies and they aren't any fun. I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch one that didn't have to.

10. I missed it (which is good as I can't stand that kind of thing) but I did read that Channel 4 got 270 (!) complaints about it.