1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone see the new Wolfie custom?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I was killing time waiting for a prescription today when I wandered over to the magazine rack for some reading material when I saw this:

http://contests.guitarworld.com/coverview.php?picname=GW0408coverA.jpg

Just scanned the article, but apparently Wolfie is getting/has gotten a few customs made. I didn't buy it, or read the whole thing, but if anyone has, give us the lowdown.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Eddie looks a lot better in that pic than the last several I've seen from him. He was looking a lot like Estelle Getty for a while there.

3. his mom has been on and on about loosing weigh yet hes fat

non the less, that is a hot bass, smexy!

4. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The same Fender CS builder Chip whats-his-name that did the EVH Frankie replicas that listed for $25,0000 did one (or two?) for Wolfie. Roughly same stripe pattern but in blue (obviously) + nods to the guitar relic in terms of wear and hacked up routes.

5. Eddie looks like that guy who plays Magneto in the Xmen movies. Ian McKellen, I think.

mckellen.

6. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I have the issue, Wolf's got two of them (one red, one blue) He mainly uses the blue one. They are different tunings too. they both have hipshot extenders. ummm...

This is all from memory, I'll go find the issue and give the guys the low-down soon.

7. Whoa :eek: That guy looks alot like Gandolph :eek:

8. Craithius

Craithius

Oct 19, 2007

Nu uh, he looks more like Gandalf :ninja:

9. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I just read that article on Wednesday. Somewhat interesting I guess. I still think EVH is mentally pretty unstable. Having Wolf around seems to really smooth out the his rough edges and keep his manic episodes at bay. I also agree with whoever said he looks much healthier. Did anybody see the Guitar World issue from when he introduced his Frankenstein replica (pre rehab), he looked like he was just hovering above the grave.

Wolf's basses are pretty cool looking. Nice flame on the neck of the blue bass. I'd be quite curious to know how they sound with the MM p/u way back the bridge and the J p/u way up at the neck.

While I think the whole tour is great I think that the way they handled it with MA is lame in particular the public blasting/defense of Wolf that EVH posted on Rolling Stone Mag's website. He pretty much called out MA saying he had not played worth a **** since Fair Warning. Regardless of what you might personally think of MA as a bass player I think what Ed did was not appropriate at totally immature.

I'd like to see EVH, WVH and AVH do something original after they have all padded their bank accounts for the latter era of their lives sans WVH in that comment. I think they might make some very interesting instrumental music that may not appeal to the masses. But end up being musicians music (anybody ever heard Bozzio, Levin, Stevens?) But hey I am one of the few that think the VH III album is at least good. Again on the basis of hearing them do something entirely different.

Okay sorry I guess that was a bit of a rant!

10. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    wow that's one ugly bass... IMO...

11. Same exact thought.

12. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Regarding all the "Eddie's looking better" comments...

Haven't you folks ever heard of Photoshop?

Minus retouching:
    [​IMG]

13. satchmo

satchmo

May 1, 2007
    Toronto
    I know that they`re banking serious coin on this "reunion" gig thing, but come'on!

Doesn't Wolf have his own brain -- yeah he's a VanHalen, but I hope he doesn't spend his entire musical career rehashing his dad's glory days with a sordid looking copy of a bass. Guy needs to get a personality, and some originality.

I mean seriously, if I had the opportunity to have a custom bass made, it would not look anything like the guitar my dad was famous for.

14. Stock R

Stock R n00b

Dec 5, 2005
    Toronto/Ottawa
    That blue bass looks like a HSH routed Ibanez RG guitar that had the bridge pickup space routed a bit bigger, humbucker slapped in, along with a J-bass control plate and a stratocaster jack.

Ugly as heck.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Ummm doesn't Wolfie look like the King?

[​IMG]

GW0408coverA.

16. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Anyone see a story on Jr. VH in a bass-centricic publication yet? Anyone, I haven't. Isn't allowed out without supervision I suppose?

17. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Yea that is the EVH i was referring to. He could have been on set in a horror movie for that shot. Really really bad. I think he has even had his teeth done since then.

18. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    "I said it once before: I don't care if his basses play like liquid Jesus dipped in butter and greased with lightning sauce, there's simply no excuse for dealing with Ed Roman"

Geeze what is wrong with Ed Roman ;-)?

19. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    re badging olp's to MM's is wrong on so many levels. of course he charged MM money for them. he got caught because he was so dumb to offer left hand models that were never produced by MM.

20. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    eh; rg's are really pointy. this is round like a strat.

why are people so negative about this bass? wolfie seems to like it and it probably won't sound/play bad either.