Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone see this scam before?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 4, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just got this in my email this morning

Hello,
    My name is Paul, am from San Jose California , but now based in the Canada ,I say your advert placed on the web, and am much interested in buying your ( Musical Instrument for my church ). I live here in Cananda and since I will personally take care of all the shipping and pick up of the ITEM.
    Please mail me back with the Item you have available for sale , some recent pictures and the current condition of the item.
    Thanks
    I await your soonest reply and may the Lord Bless You!
    Pastor Paul

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just got that same one. Now, I get these all the time, but this is the first one that didn't even bother entering in what the item was. Talk about lazy. Take pride in your work, people.

3. MAJOR METAL

I wonder how they got our email addresses?.

4. MAJOR METAL

Brendan

Do you have any gear for sale right now listed somewhere where they could have you got your email address?, that the onlything i could come up with how they got mine.

5. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    this is absolutely a scam. i've seen many fall victim to it. say your selling your item for 400 bucks. if you reespond he;ll say he's got a bakner's check for say, 600, and say "just sent it to me with 200 dollars change. In the end he gats the item and 200 bucks and you get screwed. and notice how he NEVER mentions what the item is that your selling, and also ni=otice how the english is a bit...shall we say...off. This guy probabyle speaks some wierd language and types this up, translates it and sends it out millions of times a week to any ad his computer can find. this is definitely a scam

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    HA! I just got that same one this morning. I have some items for sale on this forum and on bassgear.com. I sent him a picture as requested, and asked him how he would like to proceed. I have every intention of stringing this guy along as long as I can... I'd love to get some goofy pics or something along that line. I was thinking about asking him to mail the check to a fictitious address, and then claiming I never received it and asking him to mail it again, just to bother him as much as possible. I guess the only danger is that someone could illegally steal my "check", deposit it, and then get screwed over, but since they'd be stealing my fake money, it's their own fault. Either way, I'm gonna make this guy work for the money he's never gonna receive.

7. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Here's how I responded:
    "That is sick that you would use christianity to help you scam others. I am appalled that you would do such a thing. Perhaps the best thing for a "christian" "pastor" like yourself to do is the read Exodus 20:15.
    Thanks, Nate"

8. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    That email is an invitation to a scam. They say they want to buy what ever it is that you have for sale and they want to send you a certified or cashiers check for more than the price of the item. They ask you to deposit the check, send the item along with a certified check, cashiers check or money order for the difference. The check they send you is fake and it takes a couple of days for it to get returned to your bank. They do this in the hopes that you act more quickly than your bank does as you are sending out a good check that in most cases cannot be stopped or recinded.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. They just troll places like Bassgear, Harmony Central, even here for email adresses.

10. MAJOR METAL

Yeah that is pretty low

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your email address was, most likely, spoofed.

12. MAJOR METAL

what does that mean?

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    oops, sorry.

Spoofing means that a virus or some other type of malware has accessed the email addresses stored in your email program. It then sends out spam emails, but it looks to the recipient like they're from you.

14. MAJOR METAL

Thanks for explaining that.