1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone see this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grygrx, Aug 14, 2012.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Very cool idea! A bit expensive for some of the larger models, like Strymon, but still a new, cool idea nonetheless.

3. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Nice idea! I'll be waiting for some of the US users to post their experience... but nice to see innovative biz models in the audio industry!

Doug.

4. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    That is a cool idea.

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Yup, cool thing. No filters ?

6. Cool Idea, not sure that it is for me. I did see the rent-to-own option, i wonder how outrageous that is? They didn't really say.

7. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Here's some thoughts:
    I usually think of pedal flipping in the classifieds as "renting". Rent for as long as you like. After paypal fees, shipping postage, forum classifieds membership fees, pedal devaluation over time, and the hassle of finding the next buyer, the losses in money and time are about on par with this service. Except I will hold the pedal for a few months before flipping it to have more time to try it out in different scenarios, find new settings, and give it a unrushed chance to earn a permanent spot of my pedalboard.

8. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO

I'm with you, I've always felt similar....

but... sometimes you take a bigger hit than expected, or have trouble getting rid of something.

9. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    God I wish I had thought of this!

10. Do a Dwarfcraft specific one out of your online shop. Or get an ILF one together.

11. That's pretty cool, will check the particulars out at home. I'd probably be more inclined to try this than buying something I was uncertain about and then trying to flip it.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Here's an idea -- rent the pedals out with a maximum two week rental and just buy/return from Guitar Center on the back end. Heh.

13. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    first thought: wow, great idea for us pedal-o-holics!
    second thought: no envelope filters in stock?
    third thought: no love for us bass players?
    fourth thought: toooo expensive ($30.00/$42.00/$60.00)

14. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    ^ this would be biggest incentive to rent pedals. I have had a few pedals that just will not sell, and then many others where I took a hit of $60 or more. This service is appealing although thier selection is limited, and even more so for us bassists.

15. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    It seems new, so I would imagine if they are successful it might grow in selection.

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    This is a neat concept. I think it is cool that someone is willing to try the business model.

17. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    Now that is a great idea. I think an ILF one would work really really well...

18. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    It's funny, when I had a very large collection I considered doing something like this but never wanted to embrace the risk/hassle. Will be interesting to watch develop.

19. Not outside the US, it seems (won't let me select another country when creating an account).

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    It would definitely be a labor of love at the start. Establishing the tracking system to be as automated as possible would be the key to efficiency and making sure it makes money.

As an extension of that model, what if they allowed people to submit their pedals that they no longer use, but don't want to sell...and rent them out on behalf of the owner. The owners would get a small cut and their store could potentially greatly increase the available pedal selection.