Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone seen a bow like this before?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, Jan 2, 2006.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Read here; TOURTE Francoise XAVIER Le jeune ( 1747 - 1835 ) most famous maker of all times did not stamp his bows. Initially a clock maker, he went on to designed the modern bow, thanks to his apprenticeship with his father, Louis Tourte Père ( c.1720 - 1780 ) , also bow maker. TourteThe modern bow was approved of around 1785 or 86 by Spohr, who described them as having " trifling weight with sufficient elasticity of stick and the beautiful and uniform bending, by which the nearest approach to the hair is exactly in the middle between the head and the frog" as well as the "extremely accurate and neat workmanship" in Spohr's " Violinschule " published in 1832. Tourte designed it with Viotti's suggestions. Tourte, according to Fetis, fixed the length of the violin bow at 74 to 75 cm, the playing hair at 65 cm, and the balance point at 19 cm above the frog. The weight averaged at around 56 grams. Each bow fetched 15 Louis d'Or, and each bow, unless entirely faultless, was destroyed. He never varnished his bows but only rubbed them with pumice powder and oil. Tourte achieved his bend ( as is still done now ) by heating the wood thoroughly and then bending it. Up to then, bows had been cut at once to the desired bend. The Tourte pattern was followed by Dominique Peccatte, Nicolas Eury, Nicolas Maire, Francois Lupot, Joseph Henry and Persois though these followers did ( especially Peccatte and Voirin ) tended to make bows about 1 cm shorter.

That is a CHEAP 20th century 'not even a Copy' wannabe Bow stealing one of the greatest names in Bows ever. Keep looking on Ebay and you can pick up 100s of Strad Violins also made in Germany '100s of years after he died'.

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think $15 for shipping is a bit too much. Also, I think by using the word antique they are taking many liberties. It is not worth the rehair that it needs.

How much you want to spend on a bow? Let me know and I can make some recommendations.

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    the bow is light, 130 grams.
    i asked what wood it is and was told that it is nice pernambuco so i'm just gonna get some black hair in it and see how it works out...the eyelet needs to be adjusted just a little too.

one thing i did notice is the tip is kind of small on the bottom where the ivory is and therefore it takes a smaller amount of hair, it sounds pretty smooth in thumb position and the balance point makes the tip feel real light.

it's only money guys :D
    i don't really care if it is worth any money and i don't need the best bow ever made.
    and i knew that it wasn't really made by tourte, i just want to know if anyone has experience with bows stamped similarly.

5. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    130 grams and it's pernambuco? rilly? looks too light a colour for pernambuco. but, as long as it plays well, the species of wood is secondary in importance.

take it to Margaret at Fiddlestick in Austin. She will give you the 411 and a great rehair.

PM me if you end up being still in the market for a decent, very old French bow not too expensive. I played French bow for like 2 gigs and it's just "not right for my idiom".

there's a seller on ebay if you do a search for member "wooden100"; he sells very decent bows and some pernambuco ones for very low prices. got a bass bow and at least one violin bow from him and they were outstanding for the price. his bow cases were also excellent.

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    "130 grams and it's pernambuco? rilly? " someone said above --

FYI my Prochownik bow is 126 gr and my Water Violet Bow 132 -- I search high and low to find balanced, lightweight bows because of my arthritis -- they're out there and there are good ones (although probably not for $100!)

Louis