Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone seen a bridge like this before?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Hi All,

my RBX800 arrived today via ebay - looks great, sounds great, plays great and has a very unusual bridge (standard for the rbx800, but unusual to me).
    you guys ever seen one like it before? the black knobs at the tail of the bridge raise and lower the pieces of the bridge that the ball end of the string sits in - why? i dont know? is it for drop tuning?
    anyone with any experience with this type of bridge please help:help:
    cheers

2. fine tuners?

That'd be my guess, but I'm not familiar with this bass.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I might be wrong on this, but my assumption would be that it's for fine tuning, kind of like how a Floyd Rose is for guitar. It also could be so that you can increase the downward angle and create more pressure on the saddle should you get any buzz.

I could be wrong though.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That was my initial thought as well, but in that case, why not simply fix the ball end location at the bottom end of the adjustment to limit buzz due to lack of downward pressure as much as possible?

This one has me scratching my head that's for sure... althought the reasoning is probably very simple and right in front of my nose, haha

5. thanks for the feedback. i have to say though that im not sure about the whole fine tuning thing? i mean whats wrong with using the gotoh tuners that come with the bass - never had any probs tuning any of my other basses without "fine tuners". not saying you guys are wrong just scratching my head...
    i am tending to lean towards the whole tension on the string to relieve buzzing theory now. i remember the bridge on my old spector was able to be tilted back to mirror the angle at the headstock or something like that?
    still scratching my head...
    :help:

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    That bridge is similar to the bridge on my Yam Motion B MB2 ( gone now ) and they're fine tuners, as already posted. The actual fine tuner knobs on mine were more like certain Kahlers than the Floyd though

[​IMG]

7. rosnes

rosnes

Jan 19, 2006
    Cebu,Philippines
    fine tuners for what?does this affects the tone or something?just asking some info about this if you dont mind...im just new here....

8. +1. MAGUS®, i think it is the same one. i have to check mine again. pretty handy stuff to have.

i de-fretted mine. i did a very poor job. I pretty much bastardized the bass. now it sits in the corner gathering dust bunnies :bawl:

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    They're fine tuners. Why have fine tuners? Two reasons. One, to have a tuner at the bridge, to make it easier in general and also to allow for tuning a fretted note. But mostly, try using it and you may see that it's easier to tune up the instrument when you have a knob that gives a tiny amount of pitch change with a half turn, as opposed to (on the headstock) a tiny amount of pitch change with a tiny bit of turn. Like a ten turn pot in electronics.

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Unless it was a trem with a locking nut, I still don't see the point.

11. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I get the fine tuners, but something else is bugging me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the action and intonation are adjusted at the same time by sliding the saddle up and down those ramps. What up with dat?

12. ok, youre wrong so i will correct you. you can adjust the intonation and action seperately. the action is adjusted by a screw in the middle of the top of the "ramp". the intonation is adjusted by moving the ramp towards or away from the rear of the bridge.

thanks everyone for their imput on this topic:)
    now all i have to do is polish it up, and all the other components, put it all back together, get some new strings and then i'll have myself another awesome bass.
    which i will then promptly sell on ebay:meh:
    cheers

13. i want a fine tuning bridge but i cant find one can anyone help me?

14. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    You will be extremely lucky to find one thats a retro fit. The only ones i've seen in my searches were made by ABM, a German company i believe. But they dont appear to have any and anyways, the ABM bridge on the wacky bass below was from 1988, so maybe they were not popular then and they stopped making them.

If you find a source of Fine Tuner bass bridges, let us know.

The only other alternative i can think of is one off an old bass. Didnt Hohner headless cricket bat type basses have fine tuner bridges ?

[​IMG]

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    ABM still makes them.
    ETS makes them
    Status makes them.
    Bunker makes them.
    Steinberger makes them.
    Atlansia makes them.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Both of my Fender Precision Elites have fine tuners on their bridges.

17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Well that sounds like good news - annoyingly, i couldnt find one when i was wanting one for a project. I was only checking on parts suppliers though, rather than Bass manufacturers themselves.
    I checked ABM a long time ago, and their Fine Tuner Bridges are for headless basses, and you have to buy the whole kit. That still holds today - go see.
    That photo of the bridge above is not on their site.
    As for the Status bridges, they're built specifically for the Stealth models. and wouldnt easily transpose onto a regular bass.
    Steinberger ? I dont see a fine tuner bass bridge in the parts section. http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?dept_id=3&Series=Parts
    ETS bridges again are headless specific.
    Atalansia are Japanese, so i couldnt read the website
    The Bunker bridges are the same again - fine tuners have to hang over the back of the bass.
    When i was searching for a fine tuner bridge, i wanted one like on the Yam Motion - thats is, with the fine tuners poking up towards the player, not horizontal.
    Maybe thats why i couldnt find any over here.

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I guess I didn't realize that you were looking strictly for fine-tuner bridges. Yes, the units I suggested are full tuner bridges, suitable for headless basses. But that doesn't mean that you can't still use them in combination with a conventional peghead if you like. But they do poke out the bottom of the bass, as you pointed out.

19. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Yup jones - i was specifically looking for a bridge like the Major has fitted as standard in the first post photo :)
    Fine tuners pointing up - easy to get at

I suppose though, if one didnt want them sticking out the back of the bass, the area directly underneath the fine tuners could be routed with a small trench or something.
    If building a bass from scratch, this could easily be done, but i guess i wouldnt want to do that if just trying to retro fit a fine tuner bridge onto an existing bass.

Then again, maybe there would be enough clearance to not have to have them sticking out the back, I was just thinking that it may be a tad tricky to get your fingers to turn the fine tuner if in fact they were to close to the body