1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone seen a cover like the one I'm looking for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rtav, Mar 8, 2013.

  1. rtav

    rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

    Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hey TBers!

    At my practice space I have a Trace Elliot AH500X (65 pounds) on top of a TE 1048 cab on top of a TE 1528 cab (see pic below). It sits at an angle in a corner of our studio, and, as you can see, there is a large window behind overlooking the parking lot.

    I am a little concerned that if something should happen, like a hailstorm that broke the glass, my drivers could get ruined with rain or something like that (OK, a bit paranoid, but it could happen :ninja: ) More likely, we have a water sprinkler system in the studio that could discharge or malfunction, soaking everything.

    My concern is that there is no protection for the front of the cabs against something like rain or a fire sprinkler link/discharge. I have the original TE covers for everything, but I don't want to have to take the head down, then the 1048 cab just to put the covers on after every rehearsal. My back couldn't take that much lifting -65 pounds lifted up from a nearly 6 foot tall stack (and no, unfortunately, we don't gig that often lol).

    The other 5 sides of the cabs should protect the drivers fine - but the cabinets face is exposed. So I'm looking for an insert, a flat, thin (plywood?) cover that fits snugly over the drivers themselves in the front of the cab to protect them from water (or anything else). In effect, this would make the cabinets completely sealed from the outside, and they could be easily removed and set aside during use.

    Anyone seen anything like that? I'm thinking of making my own unless someone knows of a cab face cover that would protect the speakers from water, etc. (Regarding the amp, a cover is not a problem.)


  2. fbny71

    fbny71 Supporting Member

    May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Make your own...oh...and man is that a sweet rig!
  3. elgecko


    Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Roll of heavy (5-6 mil) HDPE sheeting and a roll of duct tape!
  4. You could just cut some plywood to size, then place either small hooks or large headed screws on the inside so they would hang on the cab via the openings in the grill.
  5. Look on ebay and find covers for cabs that are the same dimensions or a little bigger. They have vinyl ones that can be found pretty cheap or nice ampeg ones that go for like 60-70 bucks. I'm a fanatic about having roadcase or covers for cabs because it just seems like half the shows weve ever played were on rainy days and also the cabs I had covers for definelty outlasted the ones that didn't.
  6. rtav

    rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

    Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks - it works!

Share This Page