Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone seen a fretless Godin A4 in stock, used or new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gkintn, Mar 8, 2005.

1. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I have my heart set on a Rob Allen, however finances say I better stick with a Godin for now.

Has anyone seen a fretless Godin A4 for sale anywhere recently? New or used...

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I don't have a lead on one anywhere but, if you care, make sure you know the neck size before you buy. They came in both P-style and J-style neck widths so if you want one or the other make sure it's the right one for you.

Good luck!

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Before you settle on the A4, do a search for the Acoustibass that came first. It has more of a Fender shape and has this appealing thumb rest that's 5-6 inches long above the E string. It's a feature bassists have raised with Godin that's missing from the A4/A5 that players liked on the Acoustibass.

All of them are well made, great sounding basses. As aluded to in the post above, the Acoustibass came in either P or J nut width. It was available in sunburst, black, white or natural paint schemes. The early A4/A5's were available in cognac burst and black, but I think they're only available in natural.

I love those basses and someday hope to add one to the collection. Good luck.

4. Hmm, I'm pretty sure this option was only available on the old Acoustibass model. The current A4 comes with a neck profile similar to a J-Bass.

True, they are now only available in natural.

5. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I called Bass Central, and they don't have any in stock though their web shows them.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
  7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
  8. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I had seen that one on gbase. Sadly though it has frets and I want the slider one.

Ooooops....GAS kicked in and I just ordered a Rob Allen fretless after all. It was in stock at a dealer, no waiting list so...

Now I have to put a bunch of things on ebay to make up the difference...

Thanks for the replys!

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Does the Rob Allen have training wheels though? (please don't flame me too bad :D )

10. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    Absolutely...lines all the way ;)

I'm pretty good at slide electric guitar, so it's kinda the same concept. When I played the Godin with short little 1/4" lines I was A OK for pitch. A fully lined bass should even be easier I would think.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It will. You made a good choice. Be sure to write a review in the gear review section. Enjoy.

12. Hmm, actually, with lines, there's the risk to get stuck in trusting your eyes instead of your ears, which is bad. It's not that hard to play by ear with a little practice. :)

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Nice to see a post from Sherebrooke. Ca fait longtemp.

14. Salut! Il fait très froid ici.