Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone seen a good 2x10 cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Nov 10, 2000.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I have a 1x15 combo (Trace 7215SMC) and, although the sound is OK as it is, I used to use a 4x10 with and HF horn and I kinda' miss the crisp top end.

Does anyone know of a good sounding 2x10 which will not accentuate the midrange too much as the amp can sound ( to my ears at least) a bit woolly with the EQ flat. At the moment I am having to push the 5KHz right up to about +12-15dB which isn't really ideal.

I would prefer if the 2x10 is also fairly light (less than 20-25Kg {about 45lbs}) with HF horn level control.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanx in advance -

Niggy®

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've heard good things about the Eden 2x10. I've never played one, but I use one of their 4x10 and I love it. I don't know how much it weighs, but I think it says on the Eden site (www.eden-electronics.com)

Hope I helped, and have fun looking,
    -Nails

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    There's a guy here in the States named Andy Lewis,he has a small company called Acme Sound,he makes a 2x10 called the Low B Series II which fits your size and weight requirements and has a very neutral sound.I don't know how much power your combo has 'cause the thing with the Acmes is they need a lot of power to sound their best,but if you've got the watts,it's a cool sound.He only sells direct to customers,I paid $480 for mine not quite a year ago.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like v.r said, the Acmes take a ton of power.

The Eden D210XLT is the best 2x10 I've ever heard, but it weighs about 78lbs. Has more low end than any other except the Acme, but unlike the Acme doesn't require 800 - 1000 watts and is 11 db more sensitive as well.

5. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    As nice as it would be, I dont think my combo would be powerful enough for an Acme. It is 300 watts into 4 ohms which from what you guys have said would sound a little bit dull. Also, getting it over to the UK might prove a bit of an arse.

Thanx for the suggestions tho, I will look into an Eden (bit out of my $$ limit 4 not but I'm not desperate to get it).

I was also looking at Ashdown and Ampeg 2x10's. Any views/opinions? They are both fairly light but I'm not sure about the freq. response. (BTW I have decided against a Trace 2x10 as it weighs as much as tha combo!)

Tnanx - Niggy®

6. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I use an Ampeg 2x10 that's a fine cabinet. I pair it up with a 1x15 and the combination is very powerful, as well as balanced.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi...I just bought an Acme Low B-2 2x10.

I've been using an Eden (up for sale now) 2x10 XLT.

What these folks have said are right. The Eden
    is a great cab, but man oh man...it is a pain to
    carry. It's actually 67 lbs, but shaped like a
    big TV set. The Acme is alot smaller and only
    50 lbs. The Acme sounds really cool! It does
    take more power, but I think this point is sometimes
    overemphasized. 300 W is probably a little low.

I don't know what your situation is, but you might
    consider buying the acme (4 ohm) and using the money
    you would save over buying the Eden (probably $100
    more...even more in UK?) to upgrade to an Eden 400
    Traveler or something.

The smaller size was a BIG selling point for me.
    And I really like hearing the voice of my bass through
    the low coloration. http://www.acmebass.com

Hope that helps. Otherwise I would sell you
    my Eden except I don't want to ship it across the pond!

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Theres no shortage of nice 2x10 cabs.Besides the Eden,Acme,theres SWR,Ampeg,Bag End,etc.Everyone offers 2x10's!Try as many as you can find and just go with whichever sounds best to you.Good luck!

9. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Thanx V much to you guys for the replies. As I said in my prev. message, I'm not absolutely desperate to get one right now so I'll keep lookin around - especially in the direction of Eden, Ampeg and possibly Ashdown although I'd probably want to try the Ashdown at a gig (not sure how well they take a bottom E)

Thanx again!! - Niggy

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have an Eden D-210XLT. It's got a surprising amount of bottom, probably due to the double front porting. Still, it has plenty of crisp high end too. It's gotta be one of the better ones. Maybe try SWR too.

11. Niggy -

Also look into the Peavey 210TXF - I own one and am very pleased with it. It's also less expensive than many other brands out there.

John

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm gonna second Mr. Cote's advice: Check out a Peavey 210txf or 210tvf. I use 2 (210txf's), and get a really great tone. It also fits into your requirements for weight and cost. As for reproducing your open E string, well, it handles my open B perfectly, so no sweat there. Bottom line (pun intended): best 210 dollar for dollar (or alternate currency of choice) out there, IMO.

13. Gard -

Mr. Cote is mny dad ...

Glad you second my opinion !:)

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    John -

You'd maybe prefer if I referred to you as "Miss Cote"? ;)

I'll just stick with John for now.....heh hee :D

15. The SWR is pretty good, and the older model GoliathII jnr is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Goliath III.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ill second the Bag End 2x10 opinion. Its a beautiful sounding cabinet, and weighs way under 45 lbs. WAY under. Its a great cabinet, and louder than hell. Its sounds better than any Eden cabinet.

17. Just a thought. You may have something wrong somewhere in your setup if you have to boost 5k that much. I sometimes run a 1x15 on its own, depending on the venue, and I've got top end to Africa! Without a horn! Perhaps you need to look at strings, your bass, etc.

18. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I second a couple motions here. I like the Eden cab real well, and also the Peavey.

I'd have to check the specs, but I think both would come in near your weight limits.

Haven't heard the Acmes, but the concept sounds intriguing.

19. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Thanks for your suggestion but I'm pretty sure that it's not the bass, amp or a problem with the speaker - more just a case of my ersonal preference. I used to have a 4x10 (see my profile) and I'm used to being able to get an ultra bright sound (which I never use anyway) but it gives me plenty of headroom as far as top end is concerned. Thanx all the same.

20. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Thanks again for all the replies fellow bass brethren!

I used to have a Peavey 2x10txf before I got the 4x10 and found it was fine in terms of sound but it was not too happy when the volume went much above about 4 (out of 10). This said, I was not using as good an amp as the one in the Trace combo so I may try one out.

cheers - Niggy