1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone seen a new 2018 Stingray in the wild yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Mmmmmm?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    spaz21387 likes this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Nope, but I’m not looking.

3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    There doesn't appear to be anything special about the 2018 model. Am I missing something?

spaz21387 likes this.
  4. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Other than the fact that they’re more considerably more expensive? Not certain.

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    New Stingray 4 has Caprice/Cutlass bridge.

New Stingray 5 has new bridge. New Cutlass/Caprice 5? What’s the holdup? Just use the same 5 string neck, that model has worked for years.

6. There is another thread about them, but there are quite a few differences:

Bodies are more rounded-lighter
    Bridges and tuners are different/new
    Preamps are 18v now, not sure if the pickups are different too.
    Roasted maple necks with stainless steel frets
    Availability of ebony fretboard on certain finishes
    No love for the leftys (yet)

I'm waiting to see some in person and hear/read some reviews. Somewhat interested in a five string someday.

PeterH, petch, packhowitzer and 6 others like this.
  7. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The new pickups will have neo magnets. The new preamps suppossedly give longer battery life. The bridges will be aluminum to save weight and the tuners will also be lightweight. This should result in basses in the 8lb range. Release date is something like July 4th.

dralionux, SirMjac28 and spaz21387 like this.
  8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    heres one

9. shawn1288

shawn1288

Apr 20, 2013
    They're available in the USA as of July 4th 'murica

10. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Dang! I wouldn't mind an 8lb stingray. I sold mine because it was a little over 12! TWELVE!!!

Mind Eroded likes this.
  11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Right!?

12. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I saw these at NAMM back in January and they looked nice. However, right after NAMM, EBMM raised their prices quite a bit across the board.

I was sincerely interested in a Caprice and they raised the price from Honda to BMW level. I still think its interesting, but my ON button is OFF. A 27% price increase is hard to justify and puts this instrument into an entirely different price class.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    SJan3, GregC, jam.majors and 3 others like this.
  13. I would expect that they might sound more like the Stingray 5 with the move to Neodymium magnets. I'd like to try one out but I don't think I would buy one new. Like most volume builders, Musicman basses tend to depreciate like peaches at the end of the season around here.

BlueAliceOasis and Bassist Jay like this.
  14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Not sure any are out there just yet, but we're close. I saw some weights on the new Stingray 5s and there were more than a couple under 8 pounds. A sub-8 pound Stingray 5. Yes!

Giffro and pickles like this.
  15. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Yeah, I think I heard July mentioned before : at the moment the EBMM website still shows the conventional Stingray, with no sign, or mention, of the new lightweight hardware, jelly mould body version.

I sort of get the impression that the 2018 Stingray is basically the Bongo, with the more traditional Stingray aesthetic.

16. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    SJan3, Bassist Jay and Josh Kneisel like this.
  17. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    StingRay-Bass-4. StingRay-Bass-5.

wmmj, mbell75 and TolerancEJ like this.
  18. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    From MM:

"For 2018, the StingRay has been reimagined with new features and appointments that provide a new level of playing comfort while retaining that revered iconic StingRay sound. Featured revisions include an enhanced contour that is rounded for more comfort in any playing position, a sculpted neck joint for uninhibited upper fret access to all 22 stainless steel frets, and lightweight aluminum hardware providing a lighter more balanced instrument. The new and improved StingRay electronics feature more powerful neodymium magnets for increased output and a new 18-volt preamp for extra clean headroom without clipping. Solid roadworthy construction, elegant pickguard, 3+1/4+1 tuning key configuration, and the ever popular Ernie Ball Music Man humbucking pickup, all of which combined produce a look, feel and sound that is remarkably unmistakable. Available July 4th for North America."

19. Will post photos when I get mine (on pre-order)...

Edit: here in Australia the street price is more-or-less the same as the 2017 model.

pcake and Giffro like this.
  20. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Cost in Australia last year for my SR5HH 2017 model, which took 8 months to build and supply on a special custom order, was over 4k AU$ She weighs in at 10.2 lbs.
    Would love to try out one of the newer 2018 lighter models..looking forward to your pics Jughead6

EBMM SR5 Stingray2.JPG
    EB Stingray SR5 and Rumble 500C 115Cab.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    wmmj and Jeff K like this.