1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone seen a new 2018 Stingray in the wild yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 11, 2018.

1. The 2018 Stingray can be pre-ordered in Europe.

Starting price for single H 4 string is 3000 USD.

I am forecasting zero purchases.

2. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    At todays exchange rate thats about $4000 AU..woopiee..enough to put you off a bit for the basic 4 stringer.

Bassist Jay and MD Stingray like this.
  3. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I would rather spend under 2K on a MIA Fender at that price as decent as they look... not really mind blowing to me.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I played around with these at NAMM and they were nice, didn't plug them in but the impression was the same bass with a smaller bridge and lighter hardware to cut weight.

5. I have two on order - an SR4HH and an SR5HH - the cost of these in UK is on a par with the Neptune Blue Sabre I bought in 2014. I'm not expecting to see them until August. The 5 is to be Cruz teal with ebony board, roasted maple neck and black hardware, the 4 Aqua Sparkle (metal flake) also with ebony board, roasted maple neck and black hardware. I know of other people who have them on order.

I'll let y'all know about them when I get my hands on them :)

Giffro and MD Stingray like this.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I was in the same boat if I get one it will definitely be used

Bassist Jay and Gizmot like this.
  7. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Well, the guy said so: neodymium magnets. Which might affect the sound noticeably.

As long as there is not shortscale version the ray is not interesting to me. Although i like the concept and the sound.

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    And to think my Black / Maple 96' SR weighs 8.15 lbs.!
    After playing a lot these, this is really lightweight.
    I really should put it in the hands of someone who will use it as it's not the sound I need these days.

9. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I’m glad to see that they’re making some of the limited edition features standard. I agree that the price increase was a little tough to stomach, but credit to EBMM for making some upgrades to the product to recoup some of the perceived value loss.

When I first started playing back in the early 90’s, Stingrays were practically boutique basses. Then the market got flooded with them in the GC heydey. It looks like they’re okay with trying to focus on a smaller, higher end market with their USA stuff. Again, good for them for adding some nice selling points.

10. I saw the namm footage a few months ago. I’ve owned 4 musicman basses and I’m not really interested in their american made basses anymore now that the prices are where they’re at now. I might pick up a SBMM at the right price but I remember when stingrays were half of what they cost now. My dingwall is a better bass imo at the price comparison between the two I think if you guys got to try both most of you would pick the dingwall over the musicman.
    96E3690D-3962-4A51-95B1-9FFEC5D9B219. 8AA68E9F-D9D3-4757-B1F3-5C3A9AB9FBF3.

Gizmot and Bassist Jay like this.
  11. Eric DK

Eric DK Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    Florida
    ...only on websites. Called EBMM last week inquiring about a SR fretless. SR unavailable in fretless until possibly-possibly-after turn of 2019. No more bolt-on necks, only neck-throughs. Own a 4HH, 5HH, and a 5H (with Ebony). Selling the2017 5H to thin the herd. EBMM Bongo only fretless made in California...

12. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Do this mean that Bongo and SR will be the same?

13. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I really hope that part of the redesign involves making the neck of the 5-string a few millimeters wider so that the g-string doesn't slip off the edge of the fingerboard so easily.

The SBMM Ray 35 doesn't have that problem.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  14. endy_y_p

endy_y_p

May 2, 2009
    Not to conservative or anything, but I think they should leave the Stingray alone, and put new name for the 2018 Stingray, ‘Stingray Air’ maybe??! (refers to Macbook Air) because it seems that weight reduction is the main concern about the 2018 redesign.

But on second thought, history seems to be against it.
    Stingray 76 to 80s SR, redesign.
    80s SR to 90s SR, redesign.
    90s SR to 2000s SR, redesign.

Well, I guess, redesign is part of Stingray tradition.

IMHO.

15. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    Negative. The three band preamp is similar to the Bongo but has been tweaked specifically for the Ray. The pickups have neodymium magnets, but are wrapped to the SR specs.

16. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    @Scott Ball
    It seems like lefty SR/SR5s are not an option anymore.
    Are you guys working out tooling for them to bring'em out later
    or are they gone for good?

17. Scott Ball

Scott Ball Commercial User

Jun 13, 2018
    Ernie Ball Music Man
    We will for sure do the new SR's left handed I just can't promise when. We hope by 2020 we have them in the wild. I know we don't currently offer many options for left basses, but when I looked today it was less than .00004% of our production. Not a typo. We are limited in our production and have to be very selective on what is offered. In the past 5-10 years we have gone from being 70:30 basses to guitars to now 68% guitars. The 2018 Stingrays will help tip the ship some more I hope (I am a bass player).

18. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Chuck Ward has all but maybe 8 of all the lefties ever produced.

bdgotoh likes this.
  19. This sums it up right here. Love my ‘09 stingray but what is with the weight? Stacks up with 70s fenders...(sorry guys without back issues)

20. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah man. I gigged with a Stingray 5 and a Ray 35 for over 5 years. They were both over 12 lbs. I now gig with 5 string Jazz basses that all are just over 9 lbs. What a difference a 3 hour gig makes.

Mind Eroded likes this.