anyone seen The Mars Volta live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by macool, Jul 24, 2003.

1. I got de-loused in the comatorium yesterday and I am absolutely blown away. It is an awesome CD, but it seems like it has a lot of extra production involved. When they play live do they sound like the CD?
  2. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    Well, I don't have the CD quite yet, but I did see them live opening for the Chili Peppers. And my feedback is, if the CD sounds like feedback-laced incoherent sh*t, then yes, they sound the same live.
  3. You have to get the CD. I'm sure it would change your mind. I can also see your point of view about the incoherent sh*t thing. Just depends on how you look at it.:D
  4. Exactly. I just thought they had really bad sound when we saw them...
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I saw the live in March.. They were opening for RHCP, and they were amazing!!
  6. I saw them earlier this summer opening for the Chili Peppers as well. I know the sound guys weren't that great, but the band didn't do anything at all for me. Just distorted mess, and it all sounded the same to me. Might have even given me a headache. Maybe they just aren't for me.:confused:

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Nuff said
  8. I saw them open for RHCP in May and I thought they were awful. A lot of off key caterwauling and nonsensical guitar soloing.
    I've been to listen to some of their studio stuff, because a lot of people say they are amazing. Perhaps I caught them on a off night or they just aren't very good live.....
  9. I've never seen them live but pulling off what they do on the album has to be difficult. It would require a really good sound guy to get everytihng mixed right. The album is by far the best rock album to be released this year (thus far, of course).
  10. I saw them live on July 19th and it was honestly the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I loved every minute of it. I've noticed tat most of the people that say they suck live are those who saw them with the RCHP, so maybe they just sucked on that one tour(everywere else I heard they were very good). I think that if you fall into this cateory then you should give it another chance because,IMO, TMV deserves another chance.
  11. defhed2012

Mar 24, 2001
    I've seen them a couple of times now in smaller venues and both shows were some of the best live shows ive seen. Maybe it was just a different thing in the larger venues when they were opening for the chili peppers. Also, the complaints about the guitar noodling in long jams are understandable, they seem to be completely improvised and from what ive heard from live shows ive downloaded and the shows I attended sometimes the guitar noodling in the jams is successful and sometimes it just sounds crappy. On the album a few of the songs just have long spaces of odd noise and sounds ala De Facto that they did a pretty good job of reproducing live, thanks to Omar's massive pedal setup and the sound guy, who does a lot of live work. The band has said, at least with previous soundman Jeremy Ward, that he was a "sound manipulator" and was basically a sixth member and an integral part of the band, but never actually appears on stage. Thats how they reporoduce a lot of the sound from the album anyways. The rest of the band was pretty great and sounded really tight and Juan, the new bassist, does a great job IMO, and this current lineup is much better than the previous time I had seen them. And the new sound guy is Paul Hinojos, bassist for At the Drive In and currently with Sparta, so I guess Sparta must not be doing anything right now.