Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone seen this? (32,000 year old bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jun 4, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    http://www.ssdbass.com/NewFiles/32kbass.html

all i can say is :eek: !

jason

2. Wow, Wow, Wow

Hey Nino, got 20K laying around :D

That does seems quite reasonable though, it looks to be a pretty darned good investment.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Wow! :eek:

Imagine being the one who built that. I'd be under so much pressure not to screw that thing up I'd for sure **** it up ;)

4. You could use it for some VERY old school grooves ;).

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    this is well cool but the wood itself is damn ugly and they don't seem to mention what kind it is.

imagine the taunts you will get from all the Cello and Contrbass players playing "young" instruments of only 50-150 years old.

6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    the site said the wood found was cypress

7. Give or take 570 years? Those years might be crucial! Imagine buying the bass and discovering it still needs another 570 years to reach perfection!

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    C14, huh?
    Last time I heard, they found that a seal was 3000 years old.
    Just that they killed it themselves, a couple of hour ago.....

Nice bass, all other aspects considered, though.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    if you go that way it means that your bass (which was made with, maybe, a 100 years old wood at best) has only 32,470 years untill it reaches perfection.

and if so than the NS30K wood is closer to perfection than that of any other bass on this earth.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    THAT BASS WILL BE MINE!!!!! :mad:

I gotta go find a bank to rob!!!! :D;)

11. I guess this bass is perfect for ROCK!

Anyway, I better be superlucky with the lottery...

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    holy hell! that is one beautiful piece of bass. one question i gotta ask though........would YOU play it?

13. Yea I got a RIC that was hand built by Moses, thing plays sweet.

14. Sounds like Stewart's writing copy for Ebay!

I'm sorry this is a bunnybass candidate in my mind, that elephant cracks me up - bizzarre

15. Here in Auckland, New Zealand, there's a guy who builds Strats, using Kinman pups, Fender necks, and 35,000 year old Kauri for the bodies. Kauri is a NZ native timber, and normally has a very straight grain, but this stuff has been lying in a swamp for who knows how long. It's been dried, and has a fabulous distorted grain, sort of like walnut, with a bit of quilting, burling, and everything else in it. The guitars come with a certificate from a University to verify the age and condition of the wood. I dont think it makes any difference to the sound, but it sure looks stunning, and he's about to start building basses. Price of a strat is around $3500NZ, which is about $1500US.

16. Remember too Marty that all Jansen guitars and basses were made with Kauri bodies.

Kauri is a well dense heavy wood that is supposed to produce a fuller warmer tone. The weight alone would make me believe it.

And the wood waxes up to beyond perfection. Plus, it's a native to our country! (gotta be good!) :D