1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone sell there Epiphone Jack Casady for a Lakland hollowbody ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 7, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Anyone sell there Epiphone Jack Casady for a Lakland hollowbody ?

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Is that what your planning to do? Maybe a few more sentences from you might allow people to provide better input to the thread

3. MAJOR METAL

I had given it thought. I was curious as to wether the other hollowbody fans out there have done the same.

4. MAJOR METAL

Hollowbody players ?

5. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    No, but if I had a Jackbass I would. I love hollow and semi-hollow basses, and the Jackbass is a wonderfull instrument, but having played a few of each, I think the hollowbody is the bees knees.

For now I make do on an Artcore... Great bass(especially with flats), but not in the same league as the other two.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    If I still had my Casady, I would. Like Eilif said, the Epi's are good, but having played both, the Lakland is much better.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I did.
    The Cassady was good.
    I loved the tone.

The Lakland blew it away, on construction, playability, verstility.
    More usable tones.

If you got the money, get the Lakland.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have not but I would love to own a Lakland Hollow body. The only thing is, I would probably never play it.

9. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Well, I sold my Lakland HB w/ Darkstars after 3 months. And my buddy is about to take possession of his freshly Darkstarred Casady. I've never laid hands on one but I'll report asap.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    In my opinion Those two sound too modern. If you want a truely hollow body vibe find a 70's era Epiphone or Univox. I picked up this one a couple of months ago. Huge tone. By far the sweetest sounding bass at the open mic blues jams.

ace4_3.

af03_3.

ae52_3.

11. I did exactly that. While I still think the Casady is one very cool bass, I love the Lakland Hobo even more. The rounded corners make it much more comfortable to play, the scale is shorter and I find the neck to be more comfortable. The standard Bartolini's are very cool too.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've considered selling my DiPinto Belvedere, which is similar to the Casady, and getting a Lakland Hollowbody. Specifically, I've thought about selling the DiPinto and my fretless Precision, and combining the two in a fretless Lakland. But the DiPinto just sounds too darned good. For rock, which is my genre, it's probably better than the Lakland, even when the latter has Dark Stars. (I've tried Laklands with Barts and DS, and actually prefer the Barts.) The DiPinto also rules in the studio. It stays.

13. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, I sold my Casady to fund an amp. I missed it so much, I bought another--it's the only bass I've bought twice.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

What Ric didn't also say is that the Epiphone and Univox hollowbodies are actually the same basses. They were built in the Matsumoku factory at the same time by the same techs - and if you check enough photos in enough Ebay auctions (I've been watching them for years) you'll see that the hardware is the same and the pickups are often identical. Both are very decent basses and good values if you can find a nice one. Great woodwork!

Here's my late 60's Univox, with one of the most beautiful burst patterns I've seen. It's really the same bass as Ric's, but with different knobs. Check the bridges, tailpieces and pickups. The tailpieces are identical with the addition of a rosewood insert in Ric's:

Univox335copy.

15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Got Both!
    Keeping Both!!!!

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The Lakies look nice, but give me a bass with one p/u in the sweet P position over 2 p/u's any day. Not to mention, the p/u in the Casady is it's strongest selling point IMO. Put that p/u in a set neck version of the Lakland, and you might have something I'd be interested in. I'm sure that the build quality of the Lakie is better than the Epi, but for me the bottom line is tone. That minibucker in the Casady just sounds too damned good.

17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yup all the same. And they do sound great. I picked mine up for $325 :hyper:

18. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    It's been a couple of years since I had either bass, but my first hollowbody was a Casady and I sold it after picking up a US Lakland on ebay. It's not really a fair comparison because the Lakland is several times the price of the JC, but I never got comfortable with the contours of the body on the JC, and the Lakland just felt better to me. Plus, the fit and finish on the Lakland was pretty much perfect, and the JCs have bridge/intonation issues that have been much discussed here and elsewhere. The Casady is a great bass for the money, and the Lakland is a great bass for a lot more money. Ultimately, though, I sold the Lakland because it wasn't getting much play and I wasn't a big fan of the Bartolini pickup. I liked the sound of the JC pup a lot more.

19. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    "The Master" and "the Student"

Guitars040.

20. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have the JC, and have played the Lakland HB.

I would not switch them. I think the JC is a great, better sounding bass. Midrange tones are much better IMO, and the pickup location is right where it should be.

Plus, it looks good on stage, especially w/o the P/G.