1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone slap flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Apr 25, 2006.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have a G&L ash / maple L-2000 Tribute coming. It should be plenty bright. I know flats do great on them fingerstyle. Anyone recommend a flat that will get a descent slap tone? I am of the opinion that TIs don't slap. Chromes? Rotos? Sadowsky? Lakland? Fender?

Thanks,

Dave

2. I play slap about 90 % of the time with Flats. Cirrus 5BXP I
    use La Bella Deep Talking bass 760 N Nylon Flats & on a Michael Kelly Dragonfly I use D Addario ECB81-5 that I have to shorten as it is a 32" scale. I would say not as much pop as rounds but enough to define the beat on both. I play with two bands mostly. One a southern rock & blues the other a gospel and country. They both like what I have so must be OK. Also every where I play some one that plays will ask what I am playing with so it stands out.
    Wink

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    If you search there should be a post by tommix where he talks about sadowsky flats, he said they sound great for slap. Don't get the Labella Jamerson's or Fender 9050m, those won't work well for slap, especially the Jamerson's, it's pretty much impossible to slap on those.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+1 on slapping the Fender flatwounds. They are stiff and hard to get any high end out of.

5. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    My favorite flats for slap are sadowsky flats because of their versatility

They are much brighter than normal flats and can slap, but you can still get good sounds out of them for fingerstyle when you need it.

Chromes are probably a little better for slap, but i dont really like the fingerstyle sound and its hard to make the E and B strings sound right i think. I didnt keep em on for long though, so maybe they are better if you break em in.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Thanks guys. I was thinking about the Chromes, and then I found a set of XLs laying around.

Dave