1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone: Squier VS. Essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Oct 17, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    There have been a lot of posts going both ways about Rondo's SX basses and Fender's Squier series.

I'm in the market for a cheap, passive PJ and a cheap, fretless. Of course, whenever you mention cheap, Squier, SX, and other Rondo offerings come to mind.

I'm wondering if anyone has done any sort of head-to-head with SX SPJ-62 and the Squier Standard P-Bass Special/ Special Edition (Special is in standard colors, SE is black with mirror guard).

Counting shipping, the SX comes in at half the price of the Squier, yes, but let's push that from our minds. There is not a store within 500 miles of my town that stocks Squier, or Fender for that matter.

I'm looking for a bass that can tak a medium-low to low string action. I'll get measurements of my current basses later and post for a comparison, cuz everyone's opinion is different. I want playability up and down the neck, right out of the box. Intonation and crappy strings I can fix, high frets I currently cannot.

I know there's all sorts of back-and-forth about the bridges, tuners, pickups, pots, and all else involved in these 'budget basses.'

Is there someone out there who has played, owned, or owns both SX and Squier, any models, that can chime in on which comes better from the factory?

2. vidbass

vidbass

Oct 16, 2006
    my first bass was a Squire Jazz Bass, and i like it even now :)
    esspecially for the money it's great.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have a Squier P-Bass Special(one of the white basses in the photo) and just got an SX PJ(I need a new family photo) and after gigging the SX a few shows last week, here are my thoughts:

The Squier is brighter, the SX has a good amount of low-end, very punchy. The neck on the Squier is Jazz bass thin whereas the SX's feels wider than a P-Bass's. The Squier has better tuners, the SX's will be replaced. The Squier has a satin finish neck where the SX has a regular finish.
    Ronn
    leftyfamily2006.jpg

4. vidbass

vidbass

Oct 16, 2006
    nice bass collection btw :)

5. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks. Just the kind of things I wanted to hear. Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Squier's, then dropping in a set of Nordstrands and some shielding.

6. I own both a SXPJ62 and a Squier Affinity P Bass. I like them both. Previous poster said the Squier was a little brighter sounding, I'll agree. It seems the SX is punchier, but the Squier comes with Fender rounds, 7250ml I believe and I have my SX strung with D'Addario half rounds. So that may account for the tonal difference. Tuners and bridge appear identical and work the same. Both bodies are alder, the Fender weighs about 1/2 lb. less. When the SX came, intonation and frets were fine but action was a little high, so I adjusted saddles and neck. Took all of a 1/2 hour. Fender came adjusted pretty well, though D string at 12th fret buzzed. Took care of that in under 2 minutes. Fret work on both is the same: level, no sharp edges. I'd be hard pressed to decide between them. If you don't want to deal with any set-up issues buy the Squier and force the store to take care of it. Either instrument is capable of playing well. The rest is up to you. Good luck.:bassist:

7. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool. The store will do the setup work, however they can't do fretwork or anything advanced like that. I'd have to travel into the deep backwoods (literally: the only 'luthier' in these parts lives out in the woods) to have that done. I'm probably going to invest in a fret levelling kit from Stewmac and learn to do it myself.